David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 7 April 2019

First additions to the AWI collections

After painting several new units for my SYW armies I turned next to the AWI elements nestling in the Lead Pimple. For the first additions choice was all to easy, some figures Phil had bought for me as a gift from the B&B at WMMS last month. When we came to sort them out we found the Officer figure from Warlord Games’ Black Powder2 launch and figures from Perry Miniatures depicting infantry from Lee’s Légion. They are now duly painted, based and ready for action in due course. Firstly, here's the Officer ~
I decided to paint him as a Brigadier General just for something a bit different to Mounted Command figures. He’s on a 40mm round MDF base to help his status stand out on the table. Let’s hope his enthusiastic pose will translate into equally enthusiastic outcomes in action!
The figures for Lee’s Legion I based on a Don Trioani print in his book Soldiers of the American Revolution. I’ve read that there was some debate as to the uniform colours. Were they really a mauve Shade or rather faded blue? I’ve gone with the mauve option. The officer figure is depicted in a different style of coat from the NCO and Private Soldiers so I’ve opted to paint him in the later green faced black coat. For the bearskin crest of all the helmets I’ve painted them black and drybrushed with Foundry Musket Stock Brown shade. Here they are anyway ~


After painting all those SYW figures I found these really small and fiddly! I’m pleased though with the final outcome, though no doubt you will all have your own opinion. I’ve started on a second unit, the Volunteers of Ireland, also by Perry Miniatures. To aid holding the figures I’ve had to change from my time honoured Bluetack on a Humbrol tin lid to instead fixing the figures with PVA to MDF hexagonal bases which are easier for my hands to grip and subsequently don’t get dropped so often. I need to tackle the brushes next, perhaps adding rubber bands to give a thicker grip? The joys of aging, eh?

14 comments:

  1. Nice looking general! Interesting colour range on Lee's legion,they look good too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Always nice when folk approve of my efforts.

      Delete
  2. Nice diversity, great poses and paint job...and this general looks so determined, superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the kind sentiments Phil.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on these chaps. Three to a base looks good might use this approach for my upcoming Sharpshooters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally just hold the stand, always have done, however I can see the time coming when I will need something larger. Lovely work by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my limitations all too well now a days George.

      Delete
  5. David, in a lot of good art shops you can buy rubber ferules that slide on to the brushes to give you a better grip. My daughter, an illustrator, gave me one designed for drawing pencils and it has improved my draughtsmanship no end. Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for the help Graham, I'll follow that up next time I have the chance.

      Delete
  6. Nicely finished reinforcements. Mauve is the new blue.

    ReplyDelete