David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 16 April 2019

A Journey to the Dark Side?

As many of you will know for the duration of 2019 Wargames Illustrated is giving away a free plastic sprue of figures with each month's issue. Most recently this consisted of a sprue from Warlord Games for the Anglo-Zulu War. Thanks to the generosity of friends in the hobby I acquired several sprues for free. As my views on plastic figures are well known to readers that alone probably constitutes a profound shock! That I have assembled them for painting as elements of the Natal Native Contingent probably heralds the end of times in the opinion of many folk ~









Now, being honest with you all, I've no idea when I shall find time to paint them. Probably not until near the year's close, but it represents my first tentative foray into the wicked world of plastic!

16 comments:

  1. Well that's a relief,at least they're historical,I was expecting elves and pixies after seeing the title!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even Space Fairies? Glad you weren't disappointed in me!

      Delete
  2. David, you have turned your coat for sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found them fiddly and not all arms fitting all torsos. But, they were free!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely nothing wrong with plastic David although their prices are starting to rise. Ive found mixing the bases with a few metal figures gives them some heft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't anticipate more plastics Robbie, but I will bear that in mind.

      Delete
  4. I prefer metal, but use plastics here and there if they fit in with the project and in addition to cost savings they continue to get better in quality. If it wasn't for the heft, non assembly and more natural looking poses that metal offers I probably would own more plastics.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you in preferring metal figures Christopher.

      Delete
  5. First Trump...
    Then Brexit...
    Now THIS!!!...

    It is the End of Days...

    You will get weak wrists... ;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is, will I be counted amongst the Righteous?

      Delete
  6. Some beautiful plastic around but snapped bayonets and spears put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will do, George, as they are free!

      Delete
  7. What next I ask myself .............. dwarves, pixies or perhaps plastic elves 🤔

    ReplyDelete