David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 20 September 2021

Enhancing the look of my deployed Union Artillery...

 ...after a rather long hiatus you might say! Back in the day, when the world was young, I bought and painted up several limbers to place behind deployed Artillery batteries in my ACW games. At the time I thought them splendid additions to the collection, but as is inevitably the case time moves ever on and things evolve and change. They were looking a bit tired and worn I thought.

So last year, just after the first lockdown eased, Spirit Games in Burton on Trent closed its brick hobby store and moved to solely mail order, holding a closing down sale with generous discounts on Dixon Miniatures ACW amongst others. I trolled over of course and amongst my purchases that day were a number of Union officers which I had plans for in new settings for the limbers. Of course they then languished in the Lead Pimple, as things do... But, no more, they are done and added to the limbers and accompanying figures and bits to make new additions to my deployed Union Artillery! I ought to think about their Confederate counterparts next I suppose...

In the meantime, I've started another Union infantry regiment, some New Jersey Volunteer Infantry using more Dixon Miniatures ACW figures purchased in the Spirit Games shop's closing down sale.

18 comments:

  1. Nice vignettes, will look good on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lovely poses, the officer holding the map is my favourite. Nicely presented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have painted a dozen or more of him down the years!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Now I need to think on the Confederate versions in due course.

      Delete
  4. Those a great David and the mix of figure poses really makes them pop:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done David, great looking artillery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to see limbers and wagons on a table David. These will enhance any game, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice David…
    They certainly enhance your artillery batteries…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly! Let's hope it improves their effectiveness as well!

      Delete
  8. Very nice, just a shame they don't hit very often ;-) It's always nice to have a new jersey for the autumn Mr.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! The new jersey joke is quite good, for you...😁

      Delete
  9. I do like these additions to your batteries. Will look lovely on the gaming table.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete