David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 2 September 2021

The Little People

 On Wednesday evening I popped over to Jon's for the first time since March last year for a game. I must point out that this state of affairs was just the culmination of circumstances neither of us were in control of in the form mostly of Borisbans and Jon's erratic working patterns. Back to the game then, in the form of a Marlburian battle using the Black Powder rule set and his collection of 10mm armies.


 

As an aside Jon has collections in a number of scales as I knew, but I'd only ever gamed before with his 20mm WWII or 28mm ACW or Crimean War collections. This was the first time I'd even seen the 10mm WSS collection in person and I must say I was really taken with the look of both the game overall and the individual regiments. Briefly then, despite my best efforts in feigning on my left, throwing back his cavalry on my right, and driving forward with massed infantry brigades in my centre the French of the Comte du Merde failed to achieve the objective of taking the road and so ceded the field to the Allied army under Lord Walton.  Some scenes from the action then ~








I'm sure that even on my day I could not have enjoyed painting such small figures, Lord knows I found 15mm figures hard enough back in the day, but I really liked the way the smaller scale created the illusion of a battlefield on a 6'x4' table. I would definitely play this again, great fun despite my loss!

28 comments:

  1. A fine looking spectacle indeed. I have had an hankering to play the Franco-Prussian war in this or 15mm, but I would always wish I was painting 28mm instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I suddenly acquired a huge 10mm painted collection I'd happily play games, but painting them is beyond hand and eye now.

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely looking game for sure. I think the main benefit of the smaller scales is that you do get the feel of a big battle, rather than the "school geography field trip" look of 28mm, as phrase of Rick Priestly's that always stuck in my mind. Mind you each to their own and as long as you have fun, that's all that matters:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun and I did like the big battle look, but I enjoy 28mm too much.

      Delete
  3. Smaller scale figures were always perfect for big battles David, I only have my 6mm Napoleonic armies left and havent used them for several years. I do miss the spectacle but like you its a vision thing now. Lovely looking game though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, it's beyond us now Robbie. But, there's always the next turn...πŸ‘Ό

      Delete
  4. Cobbled together at the last minute really. Wednesday is usually club night but they were playing The Pikeman's Lament. Personally I'd sooner watch my toenails grow a fungal infection. So I invited Mr.B. over for a bash. Glad he enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon if these are your collection they are splendid πŸ‘

      Delete
    2. I come above watching fungus grow on your toe nails! Hope for me yet then...😁

      Delete
    3. Thanks Matt. It's just a part of the collection Matt. It all got a bit out of hand ;-)

      Delete
  5. You turncoat David, we’ll get you converted in no time ..splendid looking battle the 10 mm scale really works for this type of engagement. It’s just the challenge of painting πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've said Matt, painting them would be beyond me now...

      Delete
  6. That certainly is a lovely looking collection…
    When I see games like this ,I have to admit that I am tempted but I have learned from previous experiences with tiny little toys to leave well alone 😁…
    For the moment…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely teeny tiny troops, great looking game! I couldn't paint that small,I'm afraid I'm stuck with 25/28mm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are too small for me to paint too Iain given my eye and hand issues. 28mm figures are taxing enough now.

      Delete
  8. A good looking game and armies, we have SYW armies at the club in 10mm and they too look very good. Too small for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it a grand spectacle too but I have to agree they would prove too tiny to paint.

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought George. Several club members started down the 10mm route. I prefer gaming with my own stuff so decided to join in and before I knew it I had all the troops to do the French Right/Allied Left at Blenheim ...I know!

      Delete
  9. I agree with you about painting figures in this scale but every time I see a game, they do look very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, lovely to see but not in the painting ability range!

      Delete
  10. From a personal view, 6 & 10mm are a favourite so very nice to see them in action (particularly inspirational as I have a stack of 10mm Marlburians based in the same way :-)). Also, if you put painting concerns to one side, it's just good to see someone willing to try out something different with unfamiliar figure sizes (whatever size that may be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will usually play what's put in front of me, only polite as a guest after all. Painting choices an altogether different issue.

      Delete
  11. Looked like a fun game. Glad you enjoyed the time.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent looking game and armies. The scale has a lot to like about it.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, but not sadly for me as a painter now.

      Delete