David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 10 August 2020

Greeks bearing gifts?

Rather Southern Italian hoplites bearing rather nice LBM shield transfers on their Hoplon shields. While Phil is painting elephant number 2 for me I thought I'd press on with the first heavy infantry unit for my Carthaginian army, namely a unit of Southern Italian hoplites. The figures are from Aventine Miniatures and were a joy to paint, although the new Hoplon shields, with rear surface details added, proved a little tricky at first to fix to the figures after painting ~
One compromise I had to make was to cut down the length of the spears. This was to ensure the figure bases could be stored safely in their RUB. I think I probably made them too short in the last analysis, but I can live with that. I'll collect the second elephant from Phil this week, so I'm working on the three crew figures and the two casualties for the base next. I've also cleaned up and spray undercoated the first unit of Hanibal's Veterans, lovely figures from Aventine Miniatures once more. I've also sent off for a few extra figures, to supplement my skirmishing archer bases, along with some standards for the Veterans.

24 comments:

  1. Another fantastic looking unit David. The detail on shield transfers and flags really makes a huge difference to the look of a unit. Even 10 years ago it was still pretty much a case of hand painting IIRC. Let's hope the die Gods favour you when they make their debut on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shield transfers lift every figure I think and disguise the average paint job.

      Delete
  2. A superb addition to your rapidly growing forces, avanti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on your Aventine Greeks, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the encouragement Jonathan.

      Delete
  4. Marvelous looking Italian hoplites, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DeanM for your kind sentiments.

      Delete
  5. Hannibal Bickley, I think you may have surpassed yourself with these beauties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Jon! A bonus to see you today in passing too!

      Delete
  6. A splendid looking unit David...

    Those spears certainly look stabby enough to me...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your ongoing encouragement Aly, it's much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Very nice and the shield transfers are superb. My own Hoplites look good but have yet to prove themselves on the field of battle, getting a bad rep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, though let's be frank, the shield transfers draw the eye away from the multitude of painting errors!

      Delete
  8. Very colourful unit shields are particularly nice, I find those transfers very fiddly !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiddly? You and me both! But they do draw the eye away from painting I find.😉

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking unit of hopolites! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the encouragement Iain.

      Delete
  10. Great unit David. Hoplites are always eye catching. I know what you mean about the transfers by the way but yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie, all encouragement welcome!

      Delete