David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 28 August 2020

The first of Hanibal's Veterans

I've completed the first unit of Veteran Infantry for my Carthaginian army as part of my Punic Wars project. They are Aventine Miniatures with LBM shield transfers, mounted on MDF bases supplied by Warbases as ever ~
 I plan to have three of these units as the core heavy infantry of my Carthaginian army. The second is all cleaned up and spray undercoated ready to start, while the third is expected soon from Aventine Miniatures.
In addition to these I have already completed a unit of Southern Italian hoplites and have a unit of Spanish Scutari in the 'Lead Pimple'. For extra punch I've two warbands of Celtiberians, though I need a base cutting to size as I want them to look wilder and more irregular than the other elements of the army.

26 comments:

  1. A further fine formation for your fast forming forces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, another lovely looking unit and await their debut on the table, hoping the die Gods favour you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice indeed David ...
    You are racing through these... are you going to make any new terrain for them to fight over?

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give him any ideas🙂

      Delete
    2. Thanks Aly! I was thinking about terrain only this morning. How about the walls of Carthage Phil?😁

      Delete
  4. Wonderful David. Ive been looking at the Aventine ranges after you started using them, they are very good figures especially when they get transfers on their shields. Ive always been fascinated by the Carthaginians and especially Hannibal who was a fascinating man. Its a tragic story but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to be another first class effort David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, though I'm flagging if I'm truthful right now.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I do hope so as loosing is becoming a habit in GHQ.

      Delete
  7. Splendid unit David, you have the shields off to a tee !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Carthaginians, David! Aventine makes some of the finest sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DeanM! Aventine Miniatures' ranges for the Punic Wars are nice.

      Delete
  9. I think these are my favourite additions so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! I shall hope to do better with the next unit.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Jon, very kind! I hope you are better now.

      Delete