David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 31 July 2020

Back on track...

...in the Punic Wars project with the addition of the first of three Carthaginian Elephants. The models are by A&A Miniatures and the bases are from Warbases as ever. Phil painted the elephant for me, as he will the other two when he has time amongst his own and his busy commission work. He has form with elephants, having painted six at various times for my Indian Mutiny collection. I'm really pleased with how it all came together ~

The base has the same 80mm frontage as the rest of the collection. To protect the model, and the player from the pike, the base is 100mm deep. This allows for the addition of extra figures and for a little landscaping if desired. The hoplons on the side of the castle are moulded on, so I applied some spare shield transfers from LBM. I've started on some Greek Mercenaries now from Aventine Miniatures but it will be a while until they are completed I think.

22 comments:

  1. Now that is really rather nice David. Elephants on the table are always pure eye candy and this one is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has turned out well I agree, despite my efforts on the figures.

      Delete
  2. A splendid looking fellow indeed David...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind Aly, Phil deserves the credit though for the Nelly.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, I might have to rebase mine as they tend to fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, the shading of the elephant, with the contrast on top of the trunk is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil has form with painting elephants!

      Delete
  5. You have done Nellie proud there Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you are pleased as it looks great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, nice to find folk generally in agreement.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work looking forward to seeing them tramp down those pesky romans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Matt, but it's a few months off yet. I did manage 90 plus pieces last month, but I can't expect to keep that up.

      Delete
  8. Top notch job on your elephant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elephant is by Phil, I just managed the figures and basing.

      Delete
  9. I shall await them with a small but very noisy mouse.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work on the elephant, the crew and not to forget the basing, which is always a key to bringing out the best in miniatures!

    ReplyDelete