David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 8 July 2020

Sagitarii

It took me slightly longer than I anticipated to finish these two bases of archers for my Punic Wars project. This was partly down to an impulsive decision to paint three A&A Miniatures Numidian Light Cavalry to test out an approach that would work for human and horse flesh. Rather more significant in the delay was our first game in GHQ since early March. It left me far more tired than I remember pre-Coronovirus malarkey! All excuses aside now here are the latest recruits, two bases each of 4 archers ~
The figures are from Aventine Miniatures. The bases are from Warbases, who else? The texture is three grades of Woodland Scenics Buff Ballast washed  with Artist's Acrylic Country Maple. The static grass is a mix from different sources and the tufts and the like from Gamer's Grass.
I'm working on my second base of three more Numidian Light Cavalry now with 6 others waiting in line to work on when they are finished. Here's a sneaky preview of the first three I've finished ~

Today's post brought the last of the latest round of mail orders from LBM in the form of Etruscan shield transfers. I've pretty much got everything I wanted bar some Spanish and Celtiberian infantry, so watch this space as they say...

16 comments:

  1. Very nice David, making me want to get that extra Aventine Cohort I keep promising myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Order it! You know you absolutely need it!

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed and love the helmets on some of the figures to give a nice visual mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ! Seemed like a good choice at the time to me.

      Delete
  3. Lovely bases and splendid figures, congrats David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Very kind Ray! They'll do for an old 'un.

      Delete
  5. Trundling along triumphantly there Sir, top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top stuff eh? Does that trump 'Theyll do'?

      Delete
  6. I especially like the archers David. They are very nice sculpts. I know you dislike? plastic but Victrix do make a very good Numidian cavalryman, just a thought to save on your pension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never much liked making kits as a nipper, even less so now with my hands! I really think many forms get away with murder selling poorly finished products covered in flash and vent runs - think Perrys for example - that the modelling fraternity would instantly reject as sub standard.

      Delete
  7. Both look very nice, and further progress towards completing (if that is possible) the Punic Wars project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonsalvo! Much appreciated! Completed perhaps, but finished? No.

      Delete
  8. Good to see the project still moving forward 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plodding on at about 3 figures a day at present.

      Delete