David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 27 July 2020

On the road to Starpel...

...actually via Rawnsley! I've been to Phil's of course for our fourth game since lockdown was eased and my first on the road so as to speak. That makes the game choice all the more apt for me! As usual I played the Russians in the usual state of rule confusion engendered by Battlegroup rules. At the end of Turn 3 the game looked like this ~
At the end of Turn 6 for the Russians it looked like this ~
The Germans had exceeded their Battle Rating resulting in a Russian win. Most damage was done by my three rounds of pre ordered off table fire from a 122mm battery and from 81mm mortars, helped along by fire from my immobilised T34. Hardly any need for infantry at all.
I'm not a fan of the Battlegroup family of rules, much preferring Rapid Fire2, but Phil is keen so I fit in and do my best. I do like the Force Morale and Chit draw system of Morale though. Pop over to Phil's blog, News From the Front, in the  side bar, for an alternative perspective.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely looking game David and I too am not a big fan of the rules. They some how don't click with me due to a few things contained within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the game. Although you grin and bear BG at least you win more games than when we use RF🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I really? Still enjoy all the games you put on, even those where my grasp of the rule mechanics are questionable!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you getting face to face games again, I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything comes to those who wait, or so I'm told!

      Delete