David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 11 January 2020

Star Fort to Vauban Fort

I'm trying not to buy any new figures in the first month's of this year as I'm hoping both to reduce the Lead Pimple and see how my hands and eyes issues pan out over the next few months. My thumb joints get pretty painful if I paint for long some mornings, so I was looking for a lighter project when figure painting might not be too easy. I saw an advert for the new AMERA Star Fort and, even though it's plastic, I ordered one just before Christmas. Communication from the company has been first rate and a large, but lightweight, parcel duly arrived on Monday. It's a big beast ~
 I hope to finish it not as an earthen Star Fort but as a stone Vauban style defence. To that end I ordered a heap of stone paper sheeting from Metcalfe, the Superquick railway modelling folk - I had many of their buildings back in the 70's when I started out in the hobby. Again their communication and service were first class and the package of sheetings arrived on Thursday. The fort kit comes in 8 parts: 4 corner bastions; 3 connecting wall sections; and 1 log gate (not in my photo). Extra wall sections and corner pieces are available separately if you want an even larger piece!
I've downloaded some free kits for features of a Vauban style gateway and plan to print these out in an appropriate size to fill the gateway space. It may mean I need an extra wall section for the rear, I'll have to wait and see. I'll post a progress report as I go along for anyone interested in seeing how it pans out.

21 comments:

  1. My that is a big one you have there, it will be a very imposing feature. Look forward to seeing it again when the brick/stone work starts to get applied

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed large, but will look less stark when cladding goes on.

      Delete
  2. I saw this advertised and will be really interested to see what you do with it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plans, if I can use the term loosely, are pretty basic. I don't envisage altering the basic structure as that's way, way beyond my few skills.

      Delete
  3. That is big but I'm sure will be an impressive piece once completed. Looking forward to seeing how you go about converting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above Steve, I don't see any changes to what you see in structural terms. What I do plan is an imposing gateway section when the rest is completed.

      Delete
  4. Curious to see how this will turn out as it looks like a good piece to start out with.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful David I will look forward to you completing the piece before copying your initiative and buying one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while Robbie, currently none painting time taken up with writing a piece for Wargames Illustrated.

      Delete
  6. I know you hate plastic David but it would have been a little heavy in pewter ! Looking forward to seeing it worked on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually costed it in resin from Magister Militum, the old Ian Weekley models, but was shocked by the price. I will hold my nose and do my best to completely obscure the plastic!

      Delete
  7. That’s a nice looking piece of terrain David... I am assuming it is vacu-formed...
    I am a big fan of Metcalfe brick papers... I used them on a ‘Roman’ road that we used in an early WW1 game a few years ago... I worked a treat..

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the Bellona stuff of days gone by but more substantial and better moulded I think. I shall try and start on a section before the month is out.

      Delete
  8. Looks very nice, I am sure you will work wonders on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your confidence in me is touching, and misplaced, but I will give it a shot.

      Delete
  9. Couldn't find it but then realised it was Amera not Agema... either way it's lovely, and I wish they made one in 15mm... with the Bellona stuff you also had the option to use the model as a mould, fill it with plaster of paris and turn out a heavier copy, could you do the same with this one to make the additional wall???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the correction Steve, don't know what I was thinking! I'm sure they could do one in 15mm, perhaps you should ask?

      Delete
    2. Good plan... will do.. looking forward to seeing the progress on yours... :o)

      Delete