David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 7 January 2020

Hilton Main Miners’ Collective Silver Band 1938

After seemingly endless hours of painting figures for my War of 1812-15 expansion project I decided that I should take a break from the genre at the beginning of a new year. So far I’ve added a very large mortar to my ACW collection, a gift from Tim Hall, and a 1st Corps vet and shepherd to my VBCW bits and pieces ~

 Now the latest additions into GHQ are a band for my VBCW Hilton Main Miners’ Collective. The figures are from Tsuba Miniatures, via Empress, and were sold as a Russian band. I thought the communist leaning miners of my 1938 imagination could easily adopt a Russian cut to their dress, with the red collars and shoulder boards a nod to their political inclinations. Sadly the group lacks a big drum and a conductor, but I can live with that for what is really a bit of table dressing. Here’s a period picture of a Silver Band ~
Followed by their 28mm counterparts, the Hilton Main Miners Collective Silver Band ~

Not likely to win any prizes, but good for morale perhaps, so I’ll look at tinkering with Bolt Action in our games later in the year. Finally, a splendid Christmas gift from Phil for my ACW games, the Glory Hallelujah freebie from the Perrys which he painted up of course ~

21 comments:

  1. Diversified and beautiful, love the Silver Band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the band, a nice touch and well-repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The third figure in RJ-12 looks like he's reading music and is in a uniform that looks like a bandmaster's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine looking band, they will sound the retreat in fine style ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking band and a dirty great mortar!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mortar David and I am very envious of the ACW diorama, you lucky so and so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All very nice additions David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. All lovely, especially the fight over the flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George, Phil did a great job on the vignette.

      Delete
  9. Fine looking band and love the siege piece!

    All the best for your projects in 2020

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and good luck on the new games room.

      Delete
  10. All nice, but I especially appreciate the Siege Mortar!

    ReplyDelete