David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 2 September 2018

The End of the Beginning...?

As readers will know for most of this year Phil and I have been plodding on in our own contexts with painting figures for our joint Italian Wars project. I have at last painted the last of my Landsknecht pike blocks, using the spare Warlord pikemen to fill out the Foundry/Early Citadel figures I picked up for a song at Barrage in early June. With these the figures I have are all finished and based! Of course, no Wargamer ever truly finishes a project, but for now no more figure purchases are planned!
I’ve also been managing a little texturing work on the Palazzo project. The keen eyed will notice that I’ve replaced the Sally Forth tower with the Warbases large Roman Tower, though I’ve retained the former’s Italianate crenellations, as I thought it fitted better with my vision of the finished piece. I made up the Sally Forth wooden stairs kit I’d bought at TOP and added a Warbases doorway to create the upper floor entrance. The extra Roman stone window surrounds Martin cut for me were added to the upper floor of the two blank tower wall faces, with two more between the buttresses on the side facing building ~
Not a lot to show for over a month’s hobby time, but then this has been a far from normal month for my family. Thankfully the worst seems to be over now and we can all move forward again with our lives, being thankful for all we still have and mindful of what we might have so easily lost.



12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the finished result, looks very nice so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! Thanks for the encouragement though!

      Delete
  2. All ace stuff there old bean. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Phil! More texturing hoving into view as I type!

      Delete
  3. I am sure it will grace your table soon. I am tempted to try something similar for North Italy in the French Revolutionary Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon? Bit optimistic that Colin, but perhaps this year might be doable. Look forward to seeing your take, shall we say next week?

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures; the different makes go well together. Fabulous terrain piece too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. As I get more surfaces textured it blends together nicely.

      Delete
  5. Well done... the finish will be great !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well don't they just look grand and that terrain piece is really coming along!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete