David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 15 September 2018

Palazzo Progress Report #3

When I wake early some mornings I like to use the quiet time for hobby related activity. I do find though that on occasions the old eyes are not up to figure painting, so the Palazzo project (and associated other Italian Wars buildings) are a suitable alternative subject to occupy the time usefully. So, I’ve managed to progress the Palazzo project a little in that I have painted the base colours on the walls and pantile roofs: Crafters’ Acrylic Golden Brown for the walls and Foundry Madder Red Shade for the pantiles (& for the large windows on the tall tower) ~

In addition to the Palazzo I’ve got two other buildings in progress for the Italian Wars project: one large and imposing building made from WarbasesModular Buildings range, enhanced by a Supreme Littleness DesignsOrnamental Window; the second made from the central section of the Charlie Foxtrot tall Italian tower, with the spare resin roof Colin kindly sold me, serving as a stand alone defensive tower. I’ve got as far as texturing the walls on both of these buildings and adding the Wills pantile sheeting where needed but need a new pot of Golden Brown before I can start painting them ~




I’m aiming for a decent wargames table standard with these, to match the four already completed. Frankly I know both my limitations as a modeller and in respect of the time I’m prepared to spend on such projects, so I cut my coat according to my cloth so as to speak and am generally content with the process and the end product.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, they look great, balconies are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, eye test Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall think of you, or of the Two Ronnie optician sketch...

      Delete
  3. Very nice David.
    I really like your choice of colours.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had some help from Phil in colour selection.

      Delete
  4. As Phil said the balconies make a big difference to the buildings by breaking up the flat walls, hopefully I can remember that for the future.
    I'm interested in your paint colour choice, a craft paint for the walls makes sense for the cost but have you not been able to match the foundry paint colour in a cheaper craft paint? Terracotta sounds such an easy colour to match but I've struggled with it in the past and just wondered what your thoughts were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scheme for the walls is all Crafters Acrylic, from Bromley Arts who’s service is excellent by the way, and is a base of Golden Brown, a heavy dry brush of Fawn, a light dry brush of Antique White, a wash of GW Seraphim Brown, and a final dry brush of Crown Matt Emulsion Lime Wash - 50p a test pot for twice the paint volume in a Foundry pot and the perfect finishing colour.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this info, it was the roof tiles I was more interested in, sorry I didn't make this clearer.

      Delete
    3. That’s easy - Foundry Madder Red Shade, Heavy dry brush of Foundry Orange Shade, Light dry brush of Foundry Orange mid. They do a Terracotta triad but I don’t have it, so this does for me.

      Delete
  5. Progressing nicely, a shame to lay siege to it really😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the new build, the Pallazo (notice the capital letter!) Is simply splendid already, can't wait to see it finished,my own Italian wars buildings are in the doldrums but yours are steaming ahead!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, much appreciated. I only work on it now and then, as I prefer figure painting but somehow it goes forward. I must have a painting elf somewhere...

      Delete