David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 1 July 2018

The camera doesn’t lie...

...but it certainly can exaggerate given half the chance! You will have a chance to draw your own conclusions anyway later in the year when my piece on adapting Black Powder to 1914 games appears in Wargames Illustrated alongside the photos Dan took during his visit to GHQ last week. To help you judge here are a few pictures I took during the hectic session ~
 An additional shot of Dan hard at work during a three hours or so session taking dozens of general and detailed shots, of which only ten or so will make the hard copy magazine, with more in the version for Digital subscribers ~
I’ve left the game out on the table for Phil and I to play it through later in the month. 

I was at Penkridge Table Top Sale today, a big event for me as my first solo trip since the hip replacement operation. I enjoyed my visit much more than usual, ran into an old colleague from work too! As ever I managed an historical wargames purchase, thanks to Phil’s eagle eye, a painted Redoubt F&IW Indian leading three captive females for £9.00. Thanks to the same scout I also got four Britain’s Mounted Knights for William for £5.00. All in all a grand day out. Though I will confess I was so tired afterwards I went to sleep for two hours!
 I hope to make it to Barrage in Stafford next Sunday, a more ambitious solo trip. Tomorrow it’s off to Phil’s for a SCW game, so look out on his blog later in the week for a report.

20 comments:

  1. Stunning setup...I look forward to seeing the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, I hope you won’t be disappointed.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with Mr. Hadley! I have a fair amount of 25mm early war French and Germans that are awaiting a good set of rules.

    Congratulations on your recovery. I'm working on a little recovery from surgery myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice as usual David. Glad you are again mobile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, though not so mobile after swimming this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. We didn't have to do much sky holder uppering either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it was mostly self holding sky!

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking table, I'm sure the game will be grand!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent set up David as I've come to expect from you.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best, can’t do more after all...

      Delete
  7. Very nice David...
    I too am looking forward to reading your article...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly, I hope it will measure up to expectations.

      Delete
  8. Very nice Mr.B. I look forward to perusing your copy of WI ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be very welcome! Enjoy your FCW game tomorrow at Phil’s.

      Delete