David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Orkney's Regiment of Foot

Having completed painting the Danes using the Wargames Foundry elements of the retro-nostalgia project my focus has turned next to the British infantry in the form of my first Ebor Miniatures figures. I purchased one of the 18 figure regiment offers with a few additional individual figures to bring the count up to my strength of choice, 24-27 figures on three bases. I had purchased a few cut price Flags of War flag sheets from Colonel Bill's at the outset of the project, the first being Orkney's. The sheet has three flags, so the extras include an additional officer/ensign figure. Waste not, want not after all...

First then a view of the whole regiment drawn up in line as they might appear in action on the tabletop battlefield here in GHQ. I chose to portray them in their earlier white cuffs, using Foundry Boneyard Light over Arctic Grey Shade to reduce the otherwise stark look of white. 
The central base features three drummers, three Ensigns and the Colonel. The drummers are wearing reverse colour coats as seems to have been the norm, while the officers are wearing all red, not being yet obliged by regulation to show regimental cuffs & linings. With the wigs worn by officers I've restricted a powdered look to just the Colonel, for effect hopefully.
The 18 figure regiment deal includes a pointing sergeant figure. To my mind he fits nicely on the end of a base of firing infantry, pointing out the target as he is! One nice point about all the tricorns by the way is the sculpting on of hat lace on rank & file figures, so much easier to paint!
The regiment pack deal also contains two grenadiers. I thought I'd like more so added two extra figures and an officer to balance the composition of the whole line. Detail of the mitres from the period is vague, so Ive settled on a few squiggles which might suggest a crowned royal cypher...or not.
Before we came away for our brief late summer break in SW Wales I had started on my second regiment, Churchill's regiment of Foot, completing the central base and the grenadier element. I have to order my next tranche when we are back home which will comprise a third infantry regiment together with a Battery of British field guns. As an aside, the British cavalry, numbering three Squadrons as with the Danes, will be Warfare Miniatures figures. I've already purchased those and Phil is kindly painting the horses for me ~
The first Squadron's horses are already underway, can you guess which they will be? By the way, I chose to use the Warfare Miniatures' range simply for their wild and exuberant poses! That brings us pretty much up to date with the project's progress. After the British are done, hopefully by mid November-ish, I'd like to add some Dutch infantry and artillery, perhaps a couple of cavalry Squadrons, and I'd be done then. We will see...


1 comment:

  1. They are a rather finely turned out regiment too, well done that man!

    ReplyDelete