David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Livgarde til Fods

As I mentioned in previous posts starting off this new venture with the Danish Livgarde til Fods was a no brainer when both Matt and Phil had urged me to prioritise them. Nostalgia is afterall a powerful driver in both our hobby and in our life as we grow older. So, here is my interpretation of the regiment in English service using the venerable Wargames Foundry figures. The flags are from David's wonderful blog, Not By Appointment, and the bases are from Warbases, as ever ~


Back when the world and I were young Phil's WSS army included this unit resplendent in bright yellow, modern research though has tended towards a more straw yellow coat colour. I wanted a nod towards their venerable antecedents and so compromised with using Foundry's Ochre triad but omiting the final Light stage. I also opted not to paint on the red lace which went up the coat front in a ladder design. As the lace is not modelled on I felt it was fine to ignore it. I had one or two issues with missing buttons, especially on the cuffs of some poses. It's a bit of a thing with me but at prices charged I really do expect more attention to detail like that in quality control. It's either a moulding or casting issue, either capable of being rectified...if there is the will.

Next under the Brush of Doom will be one mounted and two foot figures to populate the Command stand for the Danish infantry brigade. Circumstances have pointed me towards this smaller component of the WSS venture next as our friends from Adelaide are due to arrive on Friday for a week's visit. After this pleasant interruption I hope to start on the second Danish infantry regiment, Prince Carl's. The flags are already printed out, from David's aforementioned site, and so for a change I shall start with the Command figures for them!


6 comments:

  1. A splendidly turned out rendition of the old Custard Men, even better to have viewed them in the metal yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil! Birds' finest live again!

      Delete
  2. Custard Powder! Those have really come out rather well Mr.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. Much appreciated! On to The next one now...

      Delete
  3. Nicely done David and a good start to the new/nostalgic project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Matt! Pure nostalgia I think!

      Delete