Well, unsurprisingly the answer here in GHQ is a resounding no! We arrived home this time last week from our jaunt Oop North, from breezy mid 20's to stifling mid 30's! Not really the kind of weather conducive to time spent wielding the Brush of Doom, hunched over my painting desk. Despite all that I have managed both to finish the baggage wagon set for my Wars of the Roses collection {see my previous post if you missed it, Paul😉} and to make a start on my War of the Spanish Succession project. Naturally following on from my conversation with Matt I decided to start with the Danish Livgarde til Fods, the famous Custard Men!
It has soon become obvious that research has moved on exponentially since my Minifigs Franco-Bavarians of yore! My recollection of Phil's chaps is that their uniform coat was yellow, quite bright I expect back in the day. Surfing the net I came across the same unit painted more recently for one of his customers. The yellow is a much more muted straw yellow. Looking around others have chosen a similar shade also, some using Foundry's Boneyard triad. After mulling it over I have opted to go back to the future and chosen their Ochre, Shade and Mid. You will no doubt have your several opinions on my choice, but for me its a compromise in honouring their predecessors. As I asked before, where are they fighting now? Anyway, I have one completed base to tease you with ~
One complaint about the figures - missing buttons, especially on the cuffs, due to poor mould making or poor casting, but either suggest poor quality control.The figures are from Wargames Foundry, sculpted eons ago by the Perrys. They are generic figures in the main which would have necessitated painting on the red ladder effect lace. You will have noticed I'm sure that I didn't take that route. They will do for me. Their range comes with a mixture of informal round hats and later tricorns. I have mixed the two in each of my first two units, though these sport a majority of tricorn hats, they are the Guards after all. Out of interest, I'm just the texturing, colour washing and vegetating the base away from completing the second base, hopefully later today when its cooler...
I have a second Danish infantry unit all ready to face the Brush of Doom along with a command base for the brigade. I will need to order a third battalion at some point to round out his brigade but first I need to replenish the warchest! On that point some explanation is due: I have orders in place with Warfare Miniatures for a cavalry squadron and some Staff officers and with Ebor Miniatures for my first British infantry battalion. They should help keep me busy for a couple of months...



A most splendid start to the new project, your recollection is correct they were bright, very bright yellow. Plaka paints if I recall correctly.
ReplyDeletePlaka paints, from the Art shop in the Arcade, that takes me back some.
DeleteVery nice work on the Danes, they look great, good choice of colour for the coat.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie, much appreciate your encouragement.
DeleteI'm with you in liking the yellower ochre more than buff. As for buttons and lace the only ones we need to please are ourselves.
ReplyDeleteVery true there!
DeleteNice David, you can have the lace.
ReplyDeleteThanks George! Now, you know how much you enjoy painting lace!😉
DeleteIt is good to have the buttons on those big cuffs, but they look grand nonetheless and for a wargaming unit it matters not really, as you have mentioned in a former post about functional painting vs 'showroom' quality.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thanks James, especially for the reminder not to agonise over small details not seen on the tabletop battlefield!
DeleteVery nice David you’ve done better than me no painting here for While , just too busy
ReplyDeleteThank you Matt! It has indeed been hot! I've mostly painted in the early morning.
DeleteLovely looking unit David! It seems WSS is quite popular recently. I also purchased a large British and French force from Ebor miniatures a couple months ago, but yet to start. Looking forward to following your progress.
ReplyDeleteI shall follow your progress Christopher. Perhaps we can cheer each other on? My Ebor order nowhere in prospect yet.
DeleteThat sounds great David although I'm not sure when I'll start my WSS project, but I will for sure cheer you on in the meantime!
DeleteI shall try to inspire you to make a start on your project!
DeleteNicely done there as always David, and the yellow ochre is probably more accurate than the youthful colours we may have used in the past:)!
ReplyDeleteThanks SteveJ! Of course you are right, bright yellow would be just a nostalgia trip really.
DeleteLovely work there David…
ReplyDeleteI also used the Foundry Ochre trilogy for my own Danish…
I really like this period… there are so many pretty flags and uniforms…
I imagine that my butterfly will want to follow yours and make some additions to my own collection…
All the best. Aly
Thank you Aly, your encouragement is very welcome. We shall flutter in tandem I'm sure from time to time. The Livgarde til Fods are almost finished and a Command stand ready to go next!
DeleteI think they've turned out quite nicely Mr.B. Those Perry sculpts have stood the test of time pretty well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jon! The sculpts are fine, its the moulding and/or casting which let's them down.
DeleteThankfully the Plaka period is permanently consigned to the recesses of distant memory! An excellent choice in colour if I may say so, and set off with some very fine brushwork! A lovely start Dave.... well done indeed! 👍
ReplyDeletePlaka was a revelation I recall after Humbrol and getting high on white spirit fumes!
Delete