David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 17 March 2024

WMMS 2024

Back in the day Phil and I might have visited over 20 shows in a year, with WMMS often being the first of the campaigning year. We had even been it's organisers from the mid 1970's to mid 1980's. So I'm sure you will understand that it holds a special place in my hobby interests. Nowadays it's held at Aldersley Leisure Village in Wolverhampton, an Olympic qualifying stone's throw from home, so it's an easy visit. Usually traders are plentiful and varied, while games are almost all of a high standard and wide genre. Add in the modelling societies' inspirational displays and even several groups of uniformed reenactors and you get good value from the modest entry fee. You could ask my grandson William if you don't believe me. He had a whale of a time being a proper wargamer, buying troops, tank, bases and paint all himself. He managed to find the Star Wars game pretty smartish too!

As ever there were lots of really splendid games on show. Well done to all those clubs and individuals involved in bringing such excellent and varied a spectacle for visitors to enjoy. Being a bit constrained by time I took just a selection of game pictures to give a sense of the spectacle on offer. First up Wellington in India by John French and friends. Some good looking figures and terrain items, just right for Pendawar I thought ~



























Next some American Civil War action, of course. The Battle of Frederick in this instance. Marvellous figures and terrain here I thought! There was a second game I liked as well but I couldn't get a decent picture of it as it so popular.

Followed by a splendid AWI game which came complete  complete with a splendid log fort! I covert that feature, just no storage space in GHQ sadly!


Lots of splendid forts and castles on show in fact!

William and Phil liked the desert war game located just as you came in to the hall ~

As ever Dave and friends from Kinver were there with a typical 20mm game offering in their own unique style. I wish I had his stamina to put on games at our age!
I hope you agree with me that these are enough to inspire even the most jaded wargamer, and there were many more splendid offerings I didn't have the time to photograph. Well done to all concerned!
Now though to a different matter. There was a good range of traders selling their wares providing pretty much every period and scale you might fancy, but not some who have supported the show down the years. If traders don't have a physical presence at shows, using the excuse of the cost of living crisis perhaps, they have noone to blame if they subsequently loose customers. I appreciate each and ever trader who makes the effort to attend any show and deplore those who declined. Some like stalwarts Dave Thomas carrying Perry Miniatures and Andy at The Last Valley travel considerable distances to shows without complaint. They get my thanks and respect every time, not to mention my custom! The show was busy and buzzing during our time there and traders seemed very busy taking customers' money. On that note though my purchases were small I must confess. My excuse is that I was helping William with his choices! So, from The Last Valley, a collection of small gardens for India and three trees ~
From Ironclad Miniatures a Russian church for the Crimean War (which Phil has spirited away for painting, hence no picture!) and from Athena Miniatures a mounted French officer for my embryonic French Crimean War brigade ~
 Not a great spend I admit, but every little helps I am sure. This was the 46th WMMS held in the last 48 years - two years missed by the Plague of course. I have missed only two of those forty six and I'm already looking forward to next year's offering, which I'm confident will be just as splendid! Well done Paul and Dave and the members of the Alumwell Wargames Society!


20 comments:

  1. Ah, so much wonderful wargamery! Thanks for the splendid photo tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Jonathan, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. It was a grand visit indeed, I shall post more pictures on my blog to compliment yours. You have covered the event in words admirably too so I will not comment further I shall direct folk here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your pictures as you have a posher camera phone than me!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the visit very much and there were many splendid games on. It is just a lovely show to be at ….. but, danger signs are increasingly on the wall for our mid sized shows.

    One hopes that the only consolation from fewer traders is that it helped concentrate spend on those that were there, most traders seemed engaged while I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed the show too Norm, as I'd venture every visitor did judging by the buzz all around me. I had a long chat on leaving with Paul and Dave the organisers, who have plans in hand already for WMMS 2025, which I hope to be at!

      Delete
  4. Nice report and some great games on show, really like the look of the Wellington in India game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The games were up there with the best you see anywhere! They always are!

      Delete
  5. It was indeed a spended day, with time spent marvelling at the wonderful displays provided by the many groups and societies who supported the show, and of course meeting up and chatting with so many familier faces and gaming chums. A hard days graft though from 07.00am to around 5.30 by the time we were all packed up, and a couple of hours on Saturday late afternoon setting up tables etc, but it was well worth it! We all had a wonderful time. Thanks and apreciation to all who came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is hard graft running a show as I know only too well. It was as marvellous as it always was/is and I'm already looking forward to next year's {DV}.

      Delete
  6. Indeed those were some beautiful looking games on display there!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they were! Splendid value for money in my view!

      Delete
  7. It's a while since I've been to the show, as a group of us used to go to spread the cost and to make the 2-3 journey each way enjoyable, as we chatted away. Sadly everyone's moved away, so unlikely to happen again anytime soon. Still great to see some cracking games and know that the show is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, I can assure you the show is always up to snuff and great value for the modest admission.

      Delete
  8. A great day, thanks for the Pic's as I never got to take many as I was getting soundly beaten on that first desert table :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to have been of service! Coming second no disgrace, I do it regularly!

      Delete
  9. A grand report of a top looking show David…
    There were indeed some lovely looking games.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly! The games were a joy! The whole show was buzzing though.

      Delete
  10. Nice to have a local show David and the games look great, it sounds like it was pretty well attended which is good for the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In past years we have been able to walk home from it, but age and the addition of William means we get a lift now! The whole show has a wonderful friendly vibe about it with the mix of wargames, traders, model clubs and Re-enactors.

      Delete