David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 29 March 2024

Village church of St Olaf

Four blog posts ago {17 March 2024} I mentioned the Russian church I'd purchased from Ironclad at WMMS. There was no photo of the piece, as I said at the time, because Phil had taken it away to assemble and paint for me. On Tuesday last when we met up here in GHQ for our weekly game he delivered the model back to me, assembled and beautifully painted. I thought you'd like to see it, so without more ado here is the village church of St Olaf ~

You will recall I hope that it's a 20mm model, but it seems to me to fit in just fine with the figures and buildings I have in the Crimean War collection. I have written before of course on the footprint issue of buildings in games, often choosing to go down a size for games in GHQ, so my choice should not come as a surprise to any reader. I will see about a scenic base at some future point as I was rather taken by Dave O'Brien's church on the Gothenburg Gamers display at The Other Partizan, which sadly I omitted to photograph! Fortunately Dave has been able to provide me with just the photos I needed ~


Dave tells me he had to scratch build the various grave crosses as no one appears to make them. Time for Warbases to step up to the plate perhaps? Meanwhile, St Olaf's with some figures to give an idea of the thing in action ~

Now though it's back to painting Crimean War figures for the project! Mustn't disappoint all old Vlad's bots who are deluging my posts with visits!!! Onward I go, the end of the beginning is in sight! Just a small matter of the French then!


18 comments:

  1. A lovely model for St Olaf's and as one would expect, an excellent paint job from Phil. Like you, I go one 'scale' down for my buildings, which still look right for the vast majority of games I play. Nice to see Dave's church too, with the seperate graves too, something I had not considered before, but a neat idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ, Phil has a sure touch with resin woodwork finishes. I hope to copy Dave's idea at some point too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work from Phil and fits in great with your collection
    David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scenic base and it will be just dandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while, nothing suitable in stock size wise.

      Delete
  4. Interesting to me, as I have the building and probably would have painted the dome too vividly, I shall use this post as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be guided by Phil, he has the touch on buildings.

      Delete
  5. Nice model and a really nice job on the painting of it, good addition for your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil did a fab job on the church. You are lucky to have such a willing and talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed…
    Phil has done a fine job…
    The smaller scale definitely works better as a wargaming piece.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil has the touch & patience with these buildings that I sadly lack! We agree on scale though for gaming buildings Aly.

      Delete
  8. A lovely job by Phil on a lovely model, a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a grand addition to the scenics I agree.

      Delete
  9. An excellent job there from Phil, one could never be too proud to display such a fine piece! It will look wonderful on the table....

    ReplyDelete