David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 5 August 2023

Claymore '23

As my regular reader know, I have been to Claymore, the principal Scottish wargames show, a show I attended regularly before The Plague. I had a grand day meeting up with many friends from North of the Waall. I took some photos of the games that took my fancy, starting with the Iron Brigade's Winter is Here demo game, the justified winner of Best Demonstration Game ~

Brother Bykleigh getting in on the action!
It was for me such a noisy convention that I can't actually attribute most of the other games that took my fancy. It's no fun being deaf in large crowds. The games I chose ~
Barry Hilton's Mad for War Participation Game.
Finally The Invincibles' C18th game featuring some lovely terrain and figures ~

Purchase wise I was not the most extravagant punter: from Warbases a heap of 3mm bases and some Eastern European buildings to service the Crimes; from ABC Brushes three new sable brushes and a mixing pallet; from the Flea Market The Thin Red Line book. Still, a grand day out and now mistook!


22 comments:

  1. A fine spread there and a well deserved award for Da Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The standout game I thought. A well deserved award.

      Delete
  2. Some nice looking games there David…
    Glad you had a fine day out.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some cool looking games David. Great see see Barry Hiltons Attack on the Medway game again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Medway, that's Kent isn't it๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  4. You provide a mix of fab looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very busy show and not easy to photograph some games. These took my fancy the most.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely mix of games there David and great to hear you had a Grand Day Out. ABC Brushes are due to be in Bristol tomorrow, so either they've split duties or have one hell of a drive down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the former surely? Claymore has always been a favourite of mine since my first visit back in the '90s.

      Delete
  6. Sadly I didn't make it. But by the looks of your pics there were some good looking games. The AWC pic is Craibstane 1571 btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The games were in the main very good and of different types too.

      Delete
  7. Very photogenic tables there, not sure I could pick a winner. Nice to be amongst it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we mere mortals don't have to choose. Been there, done that etc. Now I just enjoy them for what they are.

      Delete
  8. A great selection of games, with some outstanding terrain.
    Good to hear you enjoyed yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claymore never disappoints for its variety and ingenuity of games. Thanks also for your good wishes.

      Delete
  9. A great selection of photos, thanks for sharing.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in the area but it would have caused eruptions to shoe in a wargame show as well as the Tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had such a splended day! Very nice looking games, great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed seeing the games vicariously.

      Delete