David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 19 August 2023

Make Do and Mend...

...with the returned Wargames Foundry Crimean War British infantry has been on my mind while I was 'Oop North earlier in August. Having found a home with a good friend for some Scottish infantry figures and agreed a sale for the surplus Foot Guards figures to Stuart of Colonel Bill's I was left with five infantry regiments of 16-18 figures. 

With careful attention to the figures' paint jobs I first removed them all from their vintage card and filler bases: fiddly, messy and leading to sore finger tips but not difficult and only taking about an hour. Two of the regiments have yellow facings and a further two blue facings, though one was a Fusilier regiment. The remaining regiment had red facings. With a little artistic license in allocating figures to bases I was left with only four yellow faced figures to repaint with red facings as you can see in the first picture ~


 Back in the early 1980's when these were all painted you could still buy the figures individually, which accounts for the many casualty figures and the plethora of mounted Officers. Not wanting to waste a good resource I've pressed two of the surplus mounted officers into duty as a Brigade Command stand. While I'm on I shall replace the flags on these units with the North Star ones after I send off my next order ~

I also have some Rifle Brigade figures which I may rebase onto round bases in due course but these are enough to be going on with while Phil is away in a week or so. I hope that with my rebasing, new flags and a spray of matt varnish they will fit in with my newer Great Wars Miniatures units despite the discrepancy in figure size and heft. In separate units I really think few would bother to comment adversely. Anyway, a couple of closer pictures to remind us of earlier paints and painting styles, not to mention gloss varnish. The regiments from front to rear seem to have been the 33rd, the 23rd and the 38th ~

While I'm on the subject of painting I'd like to report that I'm making good progress on the second Roosian infantry battalion. Two bases of figures need grass 'n tufting while the first four figures of the third base are well on. Look out for them hopefully near the end of next week.

14 comments:

  1. A splendid utilisation of the prodigal sons, with regard to the size (not that it matters, so I am told) we can put them at the back so they are not smaller just further away🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shades of Miniature Wargames photos there!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you went down the re-basing route, despite suffering sore fingers for your efforts! I'm sure they will look fine when on the table, with a matt finish and you standard basing applied to the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebasing is as close as one can get to fielding an "instant army". Good to see your collection, once lost, being prepped and pressed into service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instant Army, there's a thought to hold on to.

      Delete
  4. Looking splended and coming along fine... I'm sure we can look forward to seeing them in action before too much longer! Can't imagine the size making any noticable difference, little figures....little victories! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any victory would do sometimes I've found.

      Delete
  5. Great figures,looking forward to seeing them based and facing some Russians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basing may progress quite soon, but as to facing Roosians, well, that will be a while yet.

      Delete
  6. Nicely done David and a pretty quick turn around to get them back to the front. I have no problem with slight size variations especially when in different units.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall hope to have these ready by the end of the month, though some disruption to routine is on the horizon this coming few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine work there David…
    That’s certainly saved you some time and money.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! One step nearer now they have flags😉

      Delete