David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 31 August 2023

The 1st, Royal Scots muster into service.

Well, the title says it all really, I have finished the 1st foot, the Royal regiment, the Royal Scots as they were more commonly known. The figures are from Great War Miniatures via North Star, with the exception being the enthusiastic officer which was a show freebie {at Salute or Partizan?} kindly donated to the cause by Phil.The flags are from North Star too while the bases as ever are from Warbases. Any way, not much more I can say about these, so here they are ~

Both in the comments on this blog and on various Forum Boards I also post picture update on a number of folk have been complimentary about my basing style. Below is a 'from above' photo which I hope gives a sense of what I try to do with regard to colour, placement of larger rocks, static grass, clumps of larger grasses and weeds. You'll hopefully notice the absence of flower tufts in this collection. While basing is very much a matter of individual tastes, and rightly so, I do sometimes look away at bases located in flower gardens apparently. Less is more in my view.

Next up on the painting front are a unit of skirmishing Rifle Battalion figures for the Roosians, though I also have the Duke of Cambridge and a mounted Staff Officer on the go as well. As you might recall I fix figures to MDF hexes for painting so I use these mounted figures to avoid wasting painting time while the PVA hardens. The mounted figures are one piece castings of horse and rider, though several have separate arms which allow for some artistic license. 

Over the weekend I hope to complete the basing of the prodigal Foundry figures making up the Light Division, so look out for these next week sometime. Phil and I also plan a second run through of Soldiers of Napoleon on Wednesday, so I'll hope to report on that too in due course.

12 comments:

  1. A fine addition to the forces of the Queen.
    Excellent aerial shot, highlighting just how good the basing is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touched base in fine style there Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some damn fine work there David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely looking battalion David.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can’t have a proper fight without some Jocks, nice unit David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! More on the cards later in the autumn/winter all being well.

      Delete
  6. What a cracking unit there David and those flags really set them off. Those damned Rossians had better watch out I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind SteveJ, your constant enthusiasm is much appreciated.

      Delete