David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 14 February 2023

"Boom! Boom! Boom!"

After completing the second of the three planned Hanoverian infantry regiments, Jung Zastrow, my attention turned next to these two 6lb guns and crew. As with the infantry these are all from Front Rank via Gripping Beast

Sadly there are no dedicated Hanoverian figures for the crew, just generic British artillerymen are listed, so they are missing pompoms and adornment from the tricorns and have coat lace where there should be none. But, hey, these are toys in a game seen usually at playing distance and the colours alone will signify that they are Hanoverians. The facing colours on the uniforms and the paint job on the gun carriages are described in sources as Red Lead, so I used Foundry Madder Red Shade for the base and dry brushed it with the same British Redcoat Mid shade. I think it looks about right. The ironwork on the pieces was historically painted black but I've always painted mine gunmetal down the years and highlighted it lightly with a metal colour like Spearpoint or Bright Steel. 

Anyway, all that aside, here are the latest toys in my game ~

Next to march smartly across my painting desk are a mounted general accompanied by two officers on foot to provide the command for my small Hanoverian contingent. Finally, the title of this post? Well, it comes with apologies to one Private Baldrick of Black Added Goes Forth fame of course.

22 comments:

  1. A fine grouping, very colourful and attractive. All you need now is a cunning plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I am somewhat bereft of cunning or otherwise plans.

      Delete
  2. Two very nice artillery units there David:). With two guns you could go down the Basil Brush route, with his trade mark "Boom, boom", but I prefer your Baldrick one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess the BB reference never occured to me.

      Delete
  3. Bugger Steve....you beat me to it ...I was going to use the Basil Brush reference too....American readers will likely have no idea what we are talking about! ( nice Front Rank figures BTW David)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful, I don't want to start a transatlantic tiff.😉

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking guns David…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short and to the point, I thank you.

      Delete
    2. I couldn’t think of anything Boom related… 😁

      Delete
    3. The early risers bagged the Boom related comments I think.

      Delete
  5. Great looking unit, love the carraige color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are booming nice Mr. B and thank you for referencing my poetry🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about the lyrics of John Lee Hooker.It seems to say it all David.
    Boom, boom, boom, boom
    Ow, ow, ow, ow
    Mm, mm, mm
    Mm, mm, mm, mmBoom, boom, boom, boom
    Ow, ow, ow, ow
    Mm, mm, mm
    Mm, mm, mm, mm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splended looking pieces there Dave, very nicely presented. The crew really looks the part! Is there any such thing as being 100% correct?

    ReplyDelete