David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 1 September 2022

Bought on a Whim, Parte the Second

Refering back to the first of these blog posts revealing figures I had no need of, no intention of buying and indeed didn't know existed which I purchased back at May's Partizan show at Newark Showground, here is the second post featuring Murat as ADC to General Bonaparte. Again the figure is from Trent Miniatures of course. I had thought to put him on the same base as the two you've already seen, but somehow I couldn't find a composition I liked so I decided to base him separately and use him in games as the ADC he is portrayed as ~

I've painted him in the uniform of a Chasseurs à Cheval regiment as I've not found any other illustrations of him in this early period of his career.
Although the range of figures for the Wars of the French Revolution were originally sculpted back in the day by Matt for Duncan, they have more recently been in the hands of other sculptors. While perfectly adequate they somehow lack the movement and character of the earlier iterations, though as I've said before are somewhat lifted by being mounted on Copplestone sculpted horses. Of course this is just a matter of taste and opinion on my part.
I've just started work now on the third item I bought on the same whim, though from a different manufacturer and for a very different period too. As they say, more as and when...


10 comments:

  1. A good choice of uniform he looks suitably dashing but has you say he could do with a little more animation especially given the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he looks a bit pedestrian for an ADC!

      Delete
  2. Very nice work there David. The horse does like a bit knackered to me now that you mention it. Funny how the pose of the horse really changes the dynamic of the whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right in a way. Individually both look ok but together the poses seem to clash.

      Delete
  3. Nice work, I need an army before turning to all the little extras for my project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! I find the little extras keeps my focus fresh when painting units gets monotonous.

      Delete
  4. Both of these whims seem to be sound purchases to me and look marvellous when painted! Look forward to no. 3...
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James. Number three is nearly done.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work Dave...makes a very nice addition to the collection! Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete