David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 18 September 2022

A Late Result Just In...

In a blog entry I made last month, I think, I posted some pictures of my Compagnies Franches de la Marine in New France. David, of the splendid Not By Appointment blog, mentioned in a comment that he had their flags available to download. In fact I'd already seen them and done the same but then had baulked at converting one of my Redoubt Enterprises figures. I was looking to add a few Provincials to the mix and ordering these from Redoubt made it a no brainer to order up a command set for the French that I might 'adapt by brush' for them. Here they are anyway, you can judge for yourself I'm sure ~
Just a little liberty or two with the figures' leggings and footwear combined with a rather more 'wilderness' approach to the base texture and vegetation do the job for me. I hope you agree.
We have two games planned here in GHQ this week. On Tuesday Phil and I will be back in 1983 as the gallant BAOR attempt to repulse the Soviet Aggressors in Northern Germany around the fictional towns of Bikelheim and Grös Bikelberg! While on Thursday Paul and I will be up the Nile, in my case without a paddle, as the Mahdi takes on the Empire! One thing about wargaming you know, you do get about a bit. 

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, they would be George, someone with more talent than me did them!

      Delete
  2. Splendid work. David’s flag make these figures pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you're keeping standards up Mr.B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've come out very nicely Dave... an excellent standard, as we've come to expect! Well done 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, the flags are show stealers, the flag movement has been very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb work David and the flags really do add so much wonderful animation to the unit:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ, much appreciated as always.

      Delete
  7. A nicely done base David 👍 looking forward to seeing 1983 on the table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! We dabbled yesterday trying out some rule mechanisms. We may try 7Days to the Rhine as well before we settle on a set for a game proper.

      Delete
  8. I do love the French flags of the Ancien Regime, and these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely looking command stand David.
    And a beautiful flag…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete