David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 21 August 2022

Mohawk War Party

 Hobbywise here in GHQ August has largely been a quiet month so far, with only one game being played and not a lot of painting progress either. Of course this has been due to welcome family based activities here and in Herefordshire, as well as very unBritish hot weather. With grandchildren having returned home and the weather somewhat more tolerable I have managed to return to some painting and offer you now the first view of my second British allied First Nations War Party, a Mohawk unit of four bases (Black Powder Regular Size unit here in GHQ games) ~

The figures are my second group of Galloping Major figures and I enjoyed painting them just as much as the first grouping. The Mohawk hairstyle makes them stand out from their fellows I feel, though otherwise the colour treatment is pretty much the same. Bases are from Warbases of course, textured with my mix of Woodlands Scenics range of railway ballast and rocks (from Arcane), which I wash with Games Workshop's Steel Legion Drab, and dressed with static grass and tufts from Gamer's Grass which I buy from Great Escape Games.

While painting and gaming were in short measure I did manage to add to the Lead Pimple with an order to Redoubt Enterprises for a unit of Provincial infantry. I had thought to source these from Galloping Major, as I've already intimated, but in the end it came down to cost per figure. As I was using a Card refund to fund this purchase the saving here allowed me to push the boat out for 12 Eureka UK Highlanders in North American kit. At £2.40 plus P&P costs these are in my view very expensive, but as we only pass this way once I think the occasional treat does no harm. At three figures to a base I will have four bases of Highlanders to function as Light Infantry or to stand in line with my already completed expanded Grenadier company. For those who've laboured this far I've not given up on adding further Galloping Major figures to the collection, perhaps in the form of French Canadian Militia, but that must wait now while the war chest continues to grow...

12 comments:

  1. Very nice, just bought a book on the rise and fall of the Comanche, terrifying people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, nice to see someone on the ball! Enjoy the book and don't have nightmares!

      Delete
  2. The Mohawks and Iroquois were important players in the Revolutionary war and prior conflicts in North America, so good to see them represented so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super looking war party David! It will be nice seeing them on the table.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything comes to those who wait they say.

      Delete
  4. I expect you to be rewatching The Last of the Mohicans David,just to add some zing to your painting. Very nice Native Americans as they say in the Guardian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely toys David…
    I look forward to seeing the highlanders painted.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete