David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 11 August 2022

I have been to...

 ... Warhammer, the store formerly known as Games Workshop, AKA 'The Great Satan'👿. 

Not only have I been inside, but I have bought more than my usual bottle of Steel Legion Drab, formerly known as Graveyard Earth, or Agrax Earth wash! But before the condemned historical wargamer is marched off to meet his fate, I plead special circumstances! Two of our grandsons are having a staycation with us and, as you'd expect with them being Matt's boys, they are already keen painters of figures and players of Heroquest and such! 

So Grandad has gamely braved the evils of Fantasy figures🧝🧙🏻‍♂️🧛, and even of plaaastic, and taken them to the Warhammer store in Wolverhampton to buy them some Lord of the Rings boxed sets..Greater Love and all that! I have to say the Store Manager treated them wonderfully, free sprue and free magazine each, as well as taking them around and showing them some things they might like. Sadly though, no Dwarves in stock. Too busy defending the Lonely Mountain no doubt... and what of me you ask? Why, two bottles of Steel Legion Drab paint! I used to think their paints exorbitantly expensive, but after yesterday's trip I'm not so sure anymore... Luckily my recent order from Redoubt Enterprises of a regiment of Provincial infantry for the F&IW expansion project arrived while we were out and about and my Warbases order is marked as despatched, so the world according to GHQ is back in kilter!

6 comments:

  1. There and back again, with a considerably lighter purse no doubt🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally Loan Sharks are less guilty of usury than GW in my opinion. Any adult/spotty adolescent patronising their goods has more money than sense. Shows what good value historical wargamers get!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see that you are encouraging them David. Don’t give up hope many people start with plastic fantasy and move on to more serious historical gaming when they are older. Of course some of us never give up and just do both 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I will continue to encourage them Matt and you may well be right, though I'm sceptical myself. Folk rightly do what they enjoy! Me, I never read fantasy stuff as a boy/youth just Sci-Fi, and I've no desire to game that either.

      Delete
  3. It would be nice to think they would like grandad's toys to game with at some distant time. I also buy some paints at GW and some from that greater Satan, Amazon.
    And I've painted a sack full of Beastmen & Skaven for an Sell swords and Spell Slingers campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the toys have been out in GHQ I can assure you. I just don't see the point of space fairies, gnome bothered and such.

      Delete