David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 5 December 2020

Principes for the Allied Italian Legion

 As November drew it's it's inevitable and all too dreary close and December hove into view I was close to finishing the Principes element of my Allied Italian Legion. As ever, and it really does feel like ever, the figures were by Aventine Miniatures from their Late Etruscans range. The shield transfers are from LBM of course - where would folk like me be without them? While the bases are from my old dependable source at Warbases. Just think of the hours of struggle those two firms have saved folk like me! 

With the completion of this element the Punic Wars project should be heading towards its completion.  I say should, because at the very end of November a veritable avalanche of new figures tumbled into GHQ to swell the Lead Pimple! Firstly, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Spanish cavalry for the Carthaginian army from Wargames Foundry. I needed some paints renewed anyway and the Christmas Sale discount off set the P&P charges nicely. What I'd failed to notice was the price per pack hike from £12 to £14! If I'd chosen the Casting Rooms Miniatures option I'd have saved myself £8! Doh!

Mind you, it wasn't really all doom and gloom on the Exchequer front here in GHQ as I concluded a deal with another gamer for a job lot of over 100 Aventine Miniatures figures for a really good price. After the parcel arrived and the contents were sorted I've immediately been able to add to the Republican Roman forces. The Romans will get another base of 4 cavalry, while the Allied element will add two bases of 3 cavalry. The Allied Legion will get three bases of Velites to more closely shadow the Republican Romans. Thirdly I've been able to add some Levy to the mix to give the army a further option in action. Finally, fourthly, I've enough command figures to furnish a Command base for the Allied elements in the Republican Roman army together with two single mounted commander bases which can do service in either army.

I'm more than pleased though to report that sufficient figures from the deal remain to form the basis of further Roman and Allied infantry additions in either the form of second Legions for each or expansion in the size of the present elements. God willing, next year will see where this will go.

22 comments:

  1. Ave David, congrats, they look superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A splendid array, I look forward to leading them to a glorious victory or ignominious defeat after the Ides of March at somepoint(hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great David and, as you say, transfers and decals have really made a difference for the Ancients wargamer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely look on the table and a real shot in the arm re the numbers boost. The Spanish cavalry for the Carthaginian side will make a splendid addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm editing for a dry day to spray undercoat the Spanish cavalry.

      Delete
  5. Well looking like a real force now, quite an undertaking I’m not sure I would want to be a Carthaginian !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confident that Hanibal Bucca will be up for it! Eventually!

      Delete
  6. A lot of new units done and a lot will be done. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall need it in spades if this malarchy drags on and on!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you DeanM, all encouragement is welcome.

      Delete
  8. What's not to like, beautiful, I do like that officer in blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you George! Foundry French Blue shade and highlight if you're interested.

      Delete
  9. Nice looking army. Is it me, but considering the age of Foundry's figures, they seem to be far more expensive than the competition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John! What has age, or anything else logical, to do with figure prices, especially Foundry's?

      Delete
  10. Very nice Italians David...
    In fact the whole force is coming along nicely...
    And to be honest I probably wouldn’t have gone near the Romans or Sassanids without lovely shield transfers...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Aly. Good to know I'm in such distinguished company 😉

      Delete