David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 9 December 2020

"Sequi Me!"

 While I've been working my way through the 20 figures which will represent the Triari element of my Allied Italian Legion in the Republican Roman army I've been splashing the paint on a number of other figures from the recent bargain acquisition of Aventine Miniatures figures. Of these the first to reach completion is a mounted General ~


I liked the combination of the rearing horse and the raised, swirling sword arm of the figure, which immediately suggested to me a dashing commander of the mounted Allied Italian cavalry. I added a hoplon to the figure with a rather nice LBM shield transfer featuring a stylised horse's head. Here he is leading the cavalry forward in a recless charge ~

While the Triari are nearing completion I've got three other command figures underway, another single based mounted commander and a base featuring a mounted commander and an officer on foot. The latter base will be as a sub general for the whole Allied Italian element of the Republican Roman army, while the single based mounted commander will see service in either army.

Once these are finished I've a base of 4 figures to represent the Allied Italian Legion's command element. After them there are three bases of Velites and they will be done! I think I will have earned a break from bronze then...

18 comments:

  1. Stirling work, a very dashing looking commander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the Carthaginian army commander, when/if we get to game, I hope he's dashing to the rear...๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  2. You have done a lovely job David and should be very proud of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work David and he certainly fits the bill for a dashing commander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done David, great looking commander!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and a fitting color for the commanders horse!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. That is a lovely figure and very dramatic....I might look to get one of those sometime in the future ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Was very pleased to get the figure in my recent bargain purchase!

      Delete
  7. That is one fine looking commander; and his mates are none too shabby either!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James, all encouragement is welcome.

      Delete
  8. A dashing commander with some fine troops to lead!

    ReplyDelete