David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 9 June 2020

The Wolf’s Cubs are growing

Steady progress at the painting desk here in GHQ over the past week has seen positive developments with my Republican Roman Legion in the form of the second element, the Hastati. In my second order from Aventine Miniatures I received a pack of Etruscan officers suitable for use as Roman officers, enabling me to have a slightly more varied look for this part of the Legion ~



As I mentioned in my previous post, I’m expanding the number of bases and figures in both the Principes and the Hastati components of Legio VI, the Wolf’s Cubs as I’ve named them, but they will be tackled after the Triari who have now reached the head of the painting queue!
In the meantime, here are the finished elements of Legio VI and Coronus Cunctator ~

16 comments:

  1. A very fine flying start there Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's certainly moving a bit sharpish, I'll say that.

      Delete
  2. They're coming along really well David. Republican Romans are so much more interesting than the later Imperial ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! I'm enjoying painting the figures now I have a rythem established.

      Delete
  3. Great looking principe and a lovely looking force!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be lost on the GHQ table though, more will hopefully be recruited over the coming months (DV).

      Delete
  4. These are brilliant! Where did you get the boars heads that adorn the shields? And how many figures will be in your legion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind CC. All the shield transfers are from LBM, either direct of from Aventine Miniatures. If my sums are right the Legion will have 90 figures, plus some supernumeraries in due course.

      Delete
  5. Very nice additions. I do like the look of the Etruscans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DeanM, much appreciated. I just acquired some Etruscans from Colonel Bill, when the PO bother to deliver them.

      Delete
  6. What can I say, very nice, look forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your encouragement is much appreciated George. I don't however expect to see them in action before the autumn/winter really. Lots to paint yet and opponents not even ordered.

      Delete
  7. looking good David....progress is fast...👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, but can I maintain this effort? Time will tell I suppose.

      Delete
  8. They are looking great David...
    I will have to pull my finger out or you will have more Romans than me...😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ongoing encouragement Aly! I think though that I already have more Romans than you, C4th Romans of course.

      Delete