David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 31 March 2020

Sir William Sidney Smith RN

An overlooked naval hero, serving in the American Revolutionary War, the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic Wars, as well as in the Swedish navy in the Swedish-Russian War, and now available from Wargames Illustrated in their Giants in Miniature range.
I picked up the figure at the recent Hammerhead wargames show, as my War of 1812-15 sailors and marines lacked a suitable command figure for their landing party. Here he is in close up and in action, as befits a hero ~

Dan has signed off my efforts as regards the photographs to accompany my War of 1812-15 article in Wargames Illustrated, whenever it may next appear of course, so I have been stood down and can revert to my status as keen amateur!

12 comments:

  1. Great figure and paint job. My Sir Sidney is destined to become a French General on foot leading his men forward to glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. He will do, as someone I know might say...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He will probably lead the chaps to...?

      Delete
  4. Lovely paint job on a great character and dynamic figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ. I think Matt may have made the figure for WI which was why I got him really.

      Delete
  5. Lovely dynamic figure,nicely painted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great figure; didn't Sir Sydney appear at Acre or somewhere during the Egyptian campaign?

    ReplyDelete