David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 16 March 2020

More Good Ol' Boys! The 10th Tennessee.

After two months of mainly painting figures for my War of 1812-15 collection I've taken a break and returned to my main gaming interest, the ACW, in the form of a Dixon Miniatures Confederate unit. These will represent the 10th Tennessee in their distinctive red trimmed uniform. The flags they carry are from Flags of War and the bases are from Warbases. My ACW collection has its bases covered in 'Dried Earth' Basetex before static grass and a few clumps are applied. I really do enjoy painting these Dixons' figures, even though some are like old friends I've painted so many before. It's the character in the faces and the movement in the figures I enjoy, plus the careful attention to detail in acoutrements and arms. For my money they are simply the best figures for the period, but I recognise that others are less keen: it's a bit chalk and cheese really...
Anyway, here they are in all their glory!

I've another Dixon Confederate unit still awaiting painting, as the 3rd Louisiana Infantry. I hope to get them done this month along with a small vignette I've put together from more surplus Foundry War of 1812 figures. In addition I bought a pack of Perry Miniatures ACW Union Generals at Hammerhead because, well, there is no such thing as too many Command stands! I also got a Giants in Miniature from WI, Sir Sydney Smith, who will command my naval landing party and marines in War of 1812-15 games, when he's finished of course.

20 comments:

  1. A very handsome unit David, like you I enjoy painting ACW units that are a little different than the usual grey or blue. I had considered using Dixon figures when I first started my ACW armies but couldnt get over their quirkiness. I had a lot of their renaissance pikemen many years ago and I think the aversion started then. Still yours look very handsome so maybe I should cease my prejudices and get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie, I do enjoy painting what the fancy takes me now, it must be an age thing. To be fair, the later Dixon ACW figures are not so afflicted by the overlarge heads as the earlier codes were. But, for good or ill, they are my preference and I stick by them. My recent order was delivered today while I was over at Phil's, being thrashed in a Battlegroup Eastern Front game!

      Delete
  2. Well done, splendid Rebs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely looking unit and the varied flags really add to the whole look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve J. I like the variety an extra flag brings to a unit.

      Delete
  4. They look fantastic David. I've got into Dixon ACW over the last few months in a massive way and have perused your blog posts a great deal. Your impressive forces have been a great inspiration for me and a good source of reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased you found my poor efforts helpful.

      Delete
  5. A fine body of southern boys there Sir👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Sir, indeed but will they fight?

      Delete
  6. Very nice indeed, I might just do some of those as I have another rebel unit waiting to be done some time. The Dixon figures are very nice but hard to get away from the Perry ranges for quality if a little more static and regimented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, much appreciated. The Perry Miniatures ACW range, like their Foundry range, is ok but simply doesn't have the right period feel for me: too little facial hair and clothes styled by Armani.

      Delete
  7. I once reenacted with 3rd Louisiana at Perryville, on part of the actual battlefield, long time ago. Nice troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you were a good ol' Macboy then? Nice to hear you approve of my boys!

      Delete
  8. A very nice looking unit David...
    I like that they have three flags...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aly! Sadly the next unit has only two flags, but the Union infantry after them will have three.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking bunch of rebels! I've been looking at Dixons Flodden range, they look pretty good too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm sure the figures you're looking at will fit in nicely.

      Delete