David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 4 February 2020

Last of the 'Allsorts Month' painting...

...and a return to the current focus on the War of 1812-15. In the dog days of January I managed to finish six Redoubt Enterprise Highland Grenadiers for use in any upcoming F&IW games. I have enjoyed painting the company's figures in the past, despite the odd casting 'peculiarity', but I found these taxing, mainly because I couldn't arrive at a method of painting the plaid thrown over the left shoulder. In fact that's why they are photographed from the front view only ~
With the arrival of February I set myself the task of painting more figures for the War of 1812-15 collection starting with a 16 man unit of Brigade Games US Militia in marching pose. They were sculpted by Paul Hicks, so the flimsy musket and bayonet problem will plague them over time I guess, but so far they have proved easy to paint so I'll have to see how they fare under fire so as to speak. So far I have completed 6 figures, with 2 more underway ~


Once I finish this first unit then I have another 16 figure Brigade Games unit of US Militia, but in the skirmishing pose. After those I have another 16 figure unit. Canadian Voltigeurs for the Anglo-Canadian forces, also by Brigade Games. If all goes well I hope to at least finish both US Militia units over the month and perhaps start the Canadian Voltigeurs, after all I managed 43 figures last month.

12 comments:

  1. Nicely done once again David, last month I managed two minefields, but now thanks to Vapnartak I hope to get my mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, hope your mojo is refreshed after its holiday!

      Delete
  2. Very nice work on both units. One advantage of 10mm figures is that painting plaid/tartan is, famous last words, relatively easy, but I've yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid work Mr. B just splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind, you need to lay off the drink!

      Delete
  4. Lovely militia David, subtle but very nicely painted, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done David not only do they look good you have started the year with a bang, more than I can say, but nearly got something painted to share 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Matt, though my best ever January saw 119 28mm Indian Mutiny figures painted as I had to take photos for the Devil's Wind rule book! Happy Days!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking Highlanders and splendid militia!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete