David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 29 February 2020

Mat matters

When GHQ first entered service, back in its original site in 2004, sorting out the base terrain over which games would be fought was an obvious early priority. The first solution, covering the 6'6x4' table top with railway grass matting sheets , proved reasonably pleasing to the eye if not hard-wearing. In the light of experience Phil volunteered to make bespoke terrain tiles similar to those he employed at OHQ games. These proved visually very pleasing with their combination of two green colours of towelling , green teddybear fur and grass matting. So much so that over the years when time and finances permitted more tiles were added to the repertoire.
Of course, tiles proved both flexible and restrictive in equal measure: the former was always welcome while the latter grew increasingly frustrating if I'm honest. When added to the slowly growing realisation that the older tiles were reaching the end of their useful life and looking very tired and frayed it dawned on us both that an upgrade was overdue. When it came down to considering costs and time factors it was obviously a bigger job now we are both 15 years older! The solution proved to be not tiles, but a game cloth similar to the one deployed in the recent Sudan game ~
The trouble was that most firms' cloths seem to max out at 6'x4' and the table in GHQ MK2 comes in at 6'x6'6" now. As it happens I've recently been scanning the Big Red Bat shop site, having done a figures for rules swop with owner Simon. There I found a Plains Green cloth available in 6'x8' format and so I took the plunge and ordered it up. It's now in situ here in GHQ following exemplary service from Simon in delivering it while my cheque was in the post ~

I have removed the rubber Scenic Effect dirt roads from the old tiles and in due course the river sections and emplaced hills will also be freed up to give us increased flexibility in table top battlefield construction. There are even enough serviceable flat green tiles left to make up a table using our beach sections, so the old look is not entirely lost. You will be able to judge for yourself over the coming months in any case, so do have your say as you see fit. Back to finishing off those Canadian Voltigeurs now though...

14 comments:

  1. Looks great David, impressive terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice cloth. I've used an old GW gaming mat for God knows how many years now and it still looks as good as new. I tend to put terrain in top so I can clearly see where hills start and stop etc. Maybe one day when I have some flexible roads I'll try them underneath. Plenty of figures to paint up first though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge between terrain and figures... you can see why there is such a rise in ready painted buildings etc, as painting them seems such a distraction from the lead pile.

      Delete
  3. Looking good, I find some of the modern mats a little ‘flat’ but plenty of cover and terrain will do just fine. I have found the flexibility of a mat generally preferrable to base boards but both have their advantages👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, I like the varying tones throughout the mat to break things up. It is incredible what we can get for the hobby now.

    When I think over the years the accumulated cost of trying to get the table covering right - and suddenly mats are commercially viable and it perfectly, hopefully a one-off cost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine choice I think, my work load will second that;~) Looking forward to fighting the SYW battle over it in due course :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am not married to the idea mats at the moment,I can see the very obvious advantages re storage and transportation...
    Like a lot of things it is what you do with it that will make the difference...I look forward to seeing your first game on this one.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its funny how wargamers follow a similar path. I had built over the years early 200 terrain boards for various shows and re enactments. Storing them became a nightmare especially given their weight. Nearly dropping my bedroom ceiling was a shock, so in the end I gave all the boards away. I replaced them with generic terrain, ie flat made from pink building insulation. Practical enough. Still wanting to put on games at shows,I decided to bite the bullet and buy a terrain cloth.Its a lovely thing and similar to yours David but I was lucky enough to get one over 12 long. I think you will enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good David. Along time ago I went with cloth and didn't have trouble ordering the size I needed which perhaps isn't a problem here. Then went and bought a bunch of auto/home spray cans and just spayed until I achieved the effect I wanted. You lose some depth for things like rivers but is more then made up for by flexibility.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my mats. Storage is minimal and they look great when tarted up with scenery and other ephemera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking very good! Well worth running an iron over the cloth- not too hot, steam setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also like my mats but do sometimes think of terrain tiles as I have seen some beautiful examples. At the moment I can get 8x5 on my TT table using two 6X4 but would like to fill the whole 9x. I would like to know how easy it is to move troops on the cloth mat when you get around to it because I believe you can get these to custom sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely looking and very practical, I'm considering expanding the size of my board and I think a mat might well be the way to go, so a useful and informative post for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, the comments are overwhelmingly positive, so I think we can see the way forward. I may look for a different mat in due course to add variety. The old terrain tiles have mostly gone to Phil's now for possible recycling of hills and rivers, while I have retained enough flat tiles to give an option there also (though Phil has to tart one up a tad!)

    ReplyDelete