David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 2 March 2019

Hammerhead 2019

I went to the Hammerhead wargames show over at Newark Showground today. Actually I went yesterday and stayed at the nearby Premier Inn, it makes for a more relaxed day for me than driving both ways from Wolverhampton. I met quite a few folk I know and had a good chat about our hobby, but I also spent some cash, as you do...

I'm not a fan of Participation Games but they were certainly popular with other attendees. While I was wandering round I took a few photos of the games most in my areas of interest. You have to admit they are of a good standard, well up to Partizan's level. Speaking of which, the show looked busier and was over two halls rather than one. Two Traders I know said it was second only after Salute for business. Clearly an event of the first division! Will I go next year? It all depends on health and happiness I expect, but I don't rule it out. Some pictures to end with ~
Wellington in India
Just loved the Red Fort
VBCW
ACW and chum Colin Ashton
Cold War Gone Hot, in 10mm I think. 
I thought the table was very effective. The explosion markers
were really good.

The town really caught my eye.

The Haitian Revolution. I've been following this project on his blog! Matt
mastered many of the figures for Trent Miniatures.

Paper Soldiers from Hellion & Co. Very effective.

Attack on a French Chateau by the Red Devils. I just loved the V1!

Action from one of the all too many Middle Eastern Wars ~ can't you tell i
forgot to look?
On balance I had a good day: enjoyed the stress free overnight stay and leisurely trip of under two miles to the venue; was happy to be able to buy almost all I wanted; bagged two bargains in Foundry's Sale; put the hobby to rights with chums; learned that The Last Valley have finished my canal sections and lastly, got home safely! Next week, DV, its 1.4 miles from our front door to WMMS; more great games and traders to spend my money with!


10 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good show and thanks for some pics of interesting looking games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of very nice looking games!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many other good looking offerings on show too.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you yesterday David. I would agree the event was a great day out. Thanks for the gift as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to meet up, chat, and conpare notes. Enjoy the Light Dragoons!

      Delete
  4. Good to meet you yesterday.
    Matt has done a great job with the Hiatian line.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was most impressed by the game Stuart. The Haitian church was really striking!

      Delete
  5. Alas Dave and I missed you...
    We arrived about 11:00 and left at 3:00 ish.
    I thought it was a good show and a lot busier than I expected.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed you, I left about 2.15ish. I enjoyed my day, far better than Salute in my opinion.

      Delete