David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 29 March 2019

Royal Ecossais

The last of the SYW expansion project, at least for now, is the other Scottish regiment in French service, the Royal Ecossais. Again they feature the Foundry/Casting Room Miniatures range. As with the Ogilvys, I've had to compromise somewhat on the coat, as it has neither collar nor lace, but I'm happy with the end look. Here they are, as is usual, lead by their mounted Colonel ~
Again, a few closer shots, if only to show how not to do it! I've painted so many of this marching fusilier that I think I might be able to do it in my sleep ~

One thing I have noticed though is that the more I do, the more fine detail in the sculpting I see which I missed before. Age and eyes issue I'm afraid, so be kind. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd ordered more flags from GMB Designs: for the French two more infantry regiments and one for the British, though I have no figures for any of them as yet! I plan two SYW games here in GHQ next week, so you will see the whole collection in action quite soon.

24 comments:

  1. Very pretty, lace, collars, they will be destroyed in due course, with or without Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting and flags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, but flags from GMB Designs.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, and again a well appointed drummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do drummers for you, at a price of course 😉

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. No need to go overboard Bartek, they will do for me.

      Delete
  5. Very good looking unit there David. Those Foundry castings are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin! I like the figures myself, others do not. They seem a bit like Marmite for wargamers of SYW.

      Delete
  6. Looking good we all over analyse our painting remember we only look at them from about three feet normally 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true Matt and worth remembering for us all.

      Delete
  7. A very nice unit David. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and I would be very happy to have them in my collection. I am looking forward to the accounts of the two battles you intend. So well done and carry on knocking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's much appreciated Robbie. I've not set up anything yet, bar the general table layout. Much to do tomorrow now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good looking unit! Lovely work on the drummer and nice flags!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, appreciated. Flags by GMB Designs, no credit to me bar glueing and folding a bit!

      Delete
  10. A great looking regiment David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, much appreciated.

      Delete
  11. Another lovely unit David...
    And a very nice flag...
    Looking forward to seeing them fight...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Aly. They are on the table in GHQ awaiting Phil’s arrival later this morning.

      Delete