David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 20 March 2019

Cavalry Regiment Orléans

This is the last of my cavalry additions for the SYW expansion project, a French Heavy Cavalry Regiment, Orléans. As with the rest of the French army the figures are from Casting Room Miniatures/Wargames Foundry. I chose them simply for the white coats faced with red, mainly as I had some French red cavalry standards in the pile! {I hope any genuine SYW readers will forgive an elderly chap this one time!} Anyway, as usual here they are in all their technicolour splendour  ~
I had to make a small number of compromises with the painting of these figures, mainly the complex lace pattern on the horse cloths -blue,white and red, complete with checks - simply too much for my elderly eyes and hands now. I settled for red cloth edged white, and that will have to do. A few closer pictures, so for those of a nervous disposition it’s 'time to hide behind the sofa'!



I have one Casting Room /Foundry French Infantry Regiment left, and I’ve started them as the Royal Ecossaise. I was going to use some Cran Tara figures I’d bought especially for them, but, although they are lovely figures, they are simply minuscule alongside my other figures. There’s a moral there for us all: "Never buy anything without doing proper research first!" Proof, if it were needed, that one is never too old to learn! I recently ordered three sets of SYW flags from GMB Designs, so expect more SYW reinforcements later in the year. Meanwhile, after the Royal Ecossaise it will be back to the AWI with Lee's Legion infantry and the Volunteers of Ireland

14 comments:

  1. A fine body of men there David. I had hoped to get back to the brushes myself last night but jet lag prevented me, tonight........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will soon be bank to painting like a man possessed!

      Delete
  2. A fine body of horse David...
    Red faced cavalry seem to be quite popular with the French so you really can’t go wrong...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fine DB, they just need a certain bird motif in the corner :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll need to explain that to me I'm afraid.

      Delete
  4. A fine looking regiment David although the Casting Room ranges were a bit odd. Some of the French SYW range were more like Flintloque orcs,but then if you are happy then great.I know what you mean about Crann Tara but they are beautiful figures sadly they would look very odd next to these chaps.Anyway, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orcs? No, Elves I always think! Did you get my email yesterday by the way?

      Delete
  5. Very nice paint job...and this uniform is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, that's much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. That's a great looking regiment David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your encouragement Christopher .

      Delete
  7. Great looking French cavalry! Another excellent unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I'm doing my best but am increasingly aware it's not what it was. I'm also much slower than I'd like.

      Delete