David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 22 February 2024

Flashman at 'The Charge'?

I know that I have mentioned this before, but some things about our wonderful hobby deserve frequent repetition in my opinion. One such is the kindness of not just friends but of members of the general body of hobby chums whom we may only know through the Internet or through occasional encounters at shows. So, a while back last year I received an unexpected parcel through the post. On examination I saw it was from Matt Crump {of Wargames in the Dungeon and Penrith fame}. I wasn't expecting it so opened it with more than my usual level of excitement. And what a welcome surprise it turned out to be: the Historicon freebie figure "Into the Valley of Death". Perfect as an objective marker or table dressing for my Crimean War project. I've had this on the go since the turn of the year, putting colour on as and when it was appropriate to those I was using elsewhere. In my mind I see him as that fictional arch cad and noted coward, the much decorated Victorian antihero Harry Paget Flashman ~

I believe it was a Warlord Games piece, if so it's a decent effort compared to some of their figures of late. So, I give you Flashman, unhorsed at The Charge and no doubt suffering from his usual pure funk! Meanwhile the 31st Huntingdonshire Infantry regiment are progressing steadily; two bases completed and the third well underway. More on these when they are finished next week hopefully.

14 comments:

  1. A finely turned out rendition of that arch bounder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A superb addition and a grand gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. We are a motley crew but our hearts are in the right place I've found.

      Delete
  3. Fine, fine job there David and he does have the cast of a cad about him due to his pose! Looking forward to the 31st as that's the old county of my birthplace:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks SteveJ, a valued supporter! I'm on the last 5 figures for the 31st now.

      Delete
  4. A very fine rendition of "flash" Harry. My favourite Flashman novel has to be "Flashman and the Redskins".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent - the figure certainly has more than a passing resemblance to the "great" man! I am still checking the SHQ site intermittently to see if they ever get the 28mm Flashman sets up and running again (they bought the moulds off the original producers I believe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross! Not sure I ever saw the figures you mention though.

      Delete
  6. He looks like an utter cad…
    Well done…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the very personification of the cad!

      Delete