David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Thursday 29 February 2024

Ashtonski Battery

Wanting to add something to my Crimean War project for the Roosians , but unable to face the prospect of thirtyish figures to unit completion, I opted to paint two Warlord Games 12lb Roosian guns and crew next. As I mentioned previously they were part of the large package gifted me at the outset of the project by friend Colin Ashton, after whom the battery has been named. As I had ordered two Orthodox priests from TAG I utilized the second one by adding Father Rasputin to the gun's base in the act of blessing their efforts in the coming battle. Not much more I can say about them other than the gunners' cap bands really are now beyond the limitations of my hand and eye but I did my best ~

The next unit to have it's time under the brush is the 2nd Battalion, the 1st, the Royal Scots, to add to my truncated Highland Division. These are all Great War Miniatures figures, which I almost feel I could paint in my sleep now! {That arch bounder 'Black Bottle Bill' would probably tell you I do!} After that it should be the third Roosian Jaeger battalion; oh joy, oh rapture!

18 comments:

  1. Very swish, now they are blessed they may actually score some hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A grand battery indeed! The cap bands and shoulder straps and a nicely balanced splash of colour. Very nicely presentsd.... excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Paul. Buy much today?

      Delete
    2. Panzer IV AUSF J from Rubicon.... Some more Last Valley terrain pieces, Magnetic sheets, more wire spears, a resin cast 15mm bridge, Napoleonic command figures (Perry) Brushes from ABC..... a few small dice and skull markers from Pendraken. That's about it!
      Sorry I didn't manage to catch up with you again before you left... i looked around, but it was quite crowded!

      Delete
    3. A commendable haul there Paul. We left about 1.30pm, looked out for you (& others) to no avail!

      Delete
  3. Nice work David and the priest is a great touch 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! Saved you from Spam as well.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on the guns David…
    The Jägers will no doubt appreciate the artillery support…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind Aly, much appreciated. However, Jaegers are still in the queue behind the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Scots.

      Delete
  5. Nice big guns and blessed by a priest. May they always find their target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even once would be good on current form!

      Delete
  6. Another great battery there for those damned Roosians and a neat touch to have the priest blessing them to improve their dice rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, my dice rolls need all the help they can get of late!

      Delete
  7. A fabulous battery of Russian 'eavy metal.
    The priest is a great touch,he really adds character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you your endorsement of my efforts Andy, it's much appreciated.

      Delete