David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 4 March 2023

The Leib-Garde Regiment

Continuing on with some more Hanoverian cavalry in this part of my SYW expansion project, I have completed a small unit to represent the Leib-Garde. This choice really was dictated by four more of the Foundry cavalry figures Jon gifted to me last year. Combining a guidon bearer and officer with the two figures from the horse grenadier packs gives a reasonable representation of the Leib-Garde, a squadron sized formation usually assigned to the headquarters guard duty. In our games using Black Powder (second edition) they will be a useful small unit.

The standard I found via a Google search. It's not as sharp a reproduction as commercial ones, but it's free and so on theme of course for the unit! The MDF bases are from Warbases, who else?

Under the brush now are the final two cavalry figures from Jon's gift, an officer and a drummer, obviously destined to be a Hanoverian Command base for the contingent's small cavalry arm. That will leave me with just the Jaegers and the Galloper gun and crew to paint and the Hanoverian phase of my SYW expansion project will be done ... for now anyway.

20 comments:

  1. Your production line is moving along nicely at a steady pace. Mine has stopped! so I like the idea of painting a ‘small unit’ just to get momentum going again.

    The guy on the right of first and second photo has a great face - he looks like he has turned up to win the war all on his own :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. I hope your small unit sets you off again soon.

      Delete
  2. A very fine and as noted useful addition to the Hanoverian ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great choice David. The black facings add to the look of the regiment.I must confess I expanded my squadron into a regiment simply because I like the figure that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why not Robbie? As I said, my choices dictated by the gift really.

      Delete
  4. Fine work as always David. My painting mojo has stalled slightly due to family stuff, but hope to resume this week as the weather looks rather inclement to do anything outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again SteveJ! Too cold out for my old bones, so painting it is!

      Delete
  5. Good looking adds to your Hanoverian force. It must be comforting to see a project almost done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we both know though, no project is ever really done.

      Delete
  6. A very handsome small unit, and a good use of Jon's gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm delighted you found such a good use for the "gift" Mr.B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have managed to use all the mounted figures, not sure yet on the few foot versions. Many thanks though and hope to see you in GHQ soonish.

      Delete
  8. Yet another stunning addition there Dave! You seem to have no end of new units flying off the bench at the moment...can't believe how much stuff you've got through since I last checked the blog... sorry about the lack of comments of late, they all look fabulous!!! Just no other words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that fulsome endorsement Paul. Hope to see you in GHQ on Thursday.

      Delete
  9. Another lovely little unit David…
    You are certainly being very productive…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, seem to be on a bit of a run right now.

      Delete