David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 2 October 2022

Regiment Bretagne

Expanding my SYW collection was the subject of my previous blog offering, as I'm confident my loyal reader recalls. For the first unit in this project I chose a French line infantry unit as the figures were in stock! I have previously added several other regiments in a variety of coloured coats, so it was back to a grey/white uniform with this addition. Now, I freely admit that I tend to choose my additions by way of their flags, hence this choice of the regiment Bretagne who have a different style of white colonel's colour and a black and gold quartered regimental colour, a nod to my home city of forty two years, Wolverhampton! Anyway, enough of the prologue for now; the regiment Bretagne awaits your inspection~

The whole Regiment Bretagne prepares to advance in line.

The figures are from Foundry's offshoot, Casting Room Miniatures and were sculpted by Rob Baker I believe. The flags are from the blog 'Not By Appointment' and the bases are from Warbases of course.  The flag finials, cords and ribbons are from Front Rank via Gripping Beast. I had a bit of an issue with these as when I cut them off the sprue piece the cords shattered, either at the top where they joined the finial or the tassel popped off. This had never happened before with Front Rank casting and made me wonder if there was a casting issue. The Beast are looking into this, so I await news...

22 comments:

  1. A splendiferous addition Monsewr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific! Love those flags too; always great to see my flags in action. :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. The flags are a super resource. Hanoverian ones would be nice...😉

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Hanoverian flags are on the (very long!) list but they are a devil to do as they are almost all different. Flags like the Prussian ones where, once a few basic patterns are created, only a colour change is needed are definitely preferable...

      Cheers,

      David.

      Delete
    3. Yes, they do look complex, but I have found sets on the net which will do, for now...

      Delete
  3. Fine work there David and David's flag look wonderful too. Nice to have a touch of the home town (city?) in the flag, which is the sort of thing I like for my units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SteveJ. Definitely a city, created in 2000!

      Delete
  4. Smart looking regiment, nicely done.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work there once again Dave! The drummer looks splended... along with the flags. Sets the unit off very nicely. Well done indeed👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome? Are you a closet American? French drummer's livery coats are up there with horses on my hate list!

      Delete
  6. A really lovely unit, David, and as always, the simple style of the French flags of this era is striking and yet varied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, the flags are a great resource.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done unit David but I suspect they never went to Wolverhampton ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking brushwork, the unit almost struts! And the flags are a treat to see as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice execution of the white uniforms David. Its always a hard colour to replicate and you have done a cracking job. Also a good choice of regiment. Im guided by which standard looks the best, which means I have a pretty eclectic group of regiments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Robbie, we are of one mind when it comes to French flags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another lovely unit David…
    And of course I agree with you on pretty flags …

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to have the support of like minded chums!

      Delete