David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 26 October 2022

An Away Day...

...in Nottingham's famous 'Lead Belt'. I had to pop to Nottingham to make a delivery today so decided to make a day of it and pay visits to some of the leading hobby elements based in and around the city. A word of caution though to any contemplating the trip: Nottingham must be the speed camera and traffic/crossing light capital of Britain!
Having negotiated all hazards, plus flooded roads and Long Eaton I arrived eventually at Warhammer World. Now, worry not, I was making a delivery to a good friend and in the process picking up a very generous gift from the same. 
No new picture, it was a quick exchange in the car park!
















Next stop was at Wargames Illustrated HQ, which I'd passed on the way to Warhammer World! Sat Navs, dontyajustluv'em eh? DOH! 

I had two purposes in this visit: to deliver next year's Tales From GHQ calendar for Dan and to discuss a piece I'd delivered by email in draft form at the weekend. Having accomplished both tasks I was treated to a behind the scenes tour of WI HQ, to see where much of the photographic magic happens.
A table set up for taking photographs for the much anticipated new edition of 'Never Mind the Billhooks'. This new edition will be signed off for printing very soon I'm told. I'm looking forward to seeing a copy as it has sections on the Italian Wars which may suit our games here in GHQ. We shall have to wait and see...

Talking of seeing, I was much taken by some of the bespoke buildings, seen on photo tables and shelves, like the walled manor above. Many of these passed into the care of the magazine at Duncan's express wish after his unexpectedly sudden passing. It was odd I have to say being in the offices, I half expected to see him you know!

The walled manor was a great scratch built piece, from America Dan thought and made me wonder if it might be by Herb Gundt. As a splendid piece though it was dwarfed by this magnificent High Medieval castle! To my eye it looked as if it was from the same hand. I especially liked the 'used' look of the gardes robes, very realistic! Perhaps it was Nottingham Castle à la Errol Flynn!
Again, thanks to the sat nav, it was back passed Warhammer World to find Warlord Games. Tucked away from view on one of many light industrial estates it took some finding, but it was worth the hassle.
My reason for the visit was to look at a couple of items I wanted to buy and hopefully receive some advice on the suitability of a third. I was much taken though on this first visit by the display cases crammed full of beautifully painted figures.
The sumptuous display of Warlord's own Epic Napoleonics. Too late for me now, but if I were younger I would be sorely tempted to splash the cash. Even now if they ventured down the Peninsular War route I might find the temptation almost too much!
The new North Africa theatre had a display to draw in even the most jaundiced gamer's eye I think. Italians, DAK and British & Commonwealth forces are available to purchase. It looks a very full range already to my inexpert eye!
For  the European theatre of WWII there is an even wider choice facing the gamer. Although a tad dark to my taste these British figures and vehicles were beautifully modelled and painted.
As I've already indicated, the latter visit was with purchases in mind. As I was successful in this respect I thought I'd better finish off by showing the purchases and a little explanation of each.
I wanted to have a couple of figures to populate my Warbases Roman Villa and to add some background detail to Pompus Maximus's command base and I think these will do the trick nicely on both counts.
For our Burma 1943-44 games the British & Commonwealth force is lacking in artillery. I thought this would do the job nicely and so added it to the purchase list!
Finally, in the same theatre of WWII I wanted an alternative to my sole Grant tank for them, so I purchased this plastic kit of the Stuart M3. It is close enough for me and after my successes with Plastic Soldier Company's 15mm Soviet and B.A.O.R. vehicles I'm confident I can tackle this! Famous Last Words? We shall see in due course.
A tiring day in the end and I'm glad to be safely home, but it was a grand day out and no mistook!

16 comments:

  1. You are a lucky guy, David! What a great hobby-related excursion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan! It was fun but at my age a tad on the tiring side.

      Delete
  2. You certainly managed to fill your day David…
    It was good to see you old chap.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to meet up with you, albeit briefly this week! Certainly felt like an old chap last night though, very tired.

      Delete
  3. A fair bit of gadding about there Mr. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gadding has a way of catching up with me nowadays...👴🏻

      Delete
  4. A grand day out as Wallace would say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice trip out and so easy to take in all these places as they are so close together. Driving through Nottingham has never been fun and even worse since the trams have been there.

    It's many years since I've been to GW HQ, where I used to take part in the annual Mordheim tournament, which was great fun and played in the right spirit (by most players). It was lovely to see the display models, original John Blanche et al artwork etc.

    I remember when Warlord games had just set up and they came to a local show in Bristol and had a good chat with Paul Sawyer about Bristol and the ECW. Again many years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nottingham an unpleasant driving experience. No doubt it sports an anti-car woke council?

      Delete
  6. Nowhere is it pleasurable to drive these days. A good and rewarding trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On driving you are probably right there George, too many others using the roads😉

      Delete
  7. That looked like a fun tour of the “lead belt” 😎
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the misfortune with my last job to have to work within and around Nottingam on a regular basis Dave, and it was bad enough then! You did extremely well to achieve what you did. Thanks for sharing the pictures and discriptions...Looks like you had a good fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was stressful Paul & tiring, but I did enjoy my razzle in the Lead Belt.

    ReplyDelete