David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 17 February 2019

At my age I should have known better...

Well, today Phil and I went over to Nottingham to attend the R.O.B.I.N. show. I had been to the inaugural event two years previously and swore I wouldn’t waste a day again! I was drawn to go by some of the traders attending, especially Warbases, Irongate Scenics and TAG. From Warbases I needed a large base for my remaining Renaissance marquee, picked up at Penkridge Table Top Sale last month, and some other bases. All waiting for me as I walked through the door, you really can’t get better service. From Irongate Scenics I wanted the Bread Oven for our Renaissance town, to add minor life details, but I also got a small mill and bakery odds and ends to bring it all to life. Again, excellent service allied to a fine product. That leads me on to TAG: sadly not one of the packs of figures I’d hoped to see in the round before buying. In fact a rather desultory stand with one pack of what there was, but no complete range I could see. Result? Well, they lost two sales today. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but I got the impression they hadn’t made much effort with stock. I also bought two brushes from ABC Brushes, we will see how my £1.50 a brush turns out, I’ve had good reports from others on their performance.
I’m hardly the last of the big spenders there, am I? Besides shopping I enjoy meeting friends in the hobby, so today was a plus with a long and good natured natter with Duncan Macfarlne, once WI’s guiding light, and now Trent Miniatures, about the as yet still unmade Scots Greys and Heavy Cavalry Command sets. As ever, I live in hope...but I’m not holding my breath! Also a good chat with Laurence of Partizan fame and the chaps from Derby Wargames who were showing an excellent Great Northern War game.
That leads me on to the main source of dissatisfaction with the event, for theirs was the only wargame in the whole room. All the rest were the endless clones of 2’ x 2’ bijou games in a box! Not only that, but they were overwhelmingly of the fantasy persuasion, which you will all know I abhor! I may be a tad unkind, but do these little games lead anywhere, other than to another clone game? I might be persuaded to extend a pardon to the Blood and Plunder game, as at least it has some base in history, and to the sole WWII game using Chain of Command.  It’s no secret, but I am a sucker for the mega game with a cast of hundreds. Sadly disappointed today on that score...Here though is the Derby chaps’ Great Northern War game ~





But, a day out with my chum is never going to be brought low by a disappointing show. We had a grand natter, put the hobby to rights in no short order, and bought a few toys. Now, I have to get those scenic bits painted and based by 7th March, when Dan is popping into GHQ to take the photos to accompany my Italian Wars project article. I’ll be a bit busy I think for a few days.

22 comments:

  1. It was a show, but not as we know it. Historical wargaming is becoming a periphery all the more it seems as the younger generation come through. Thought that some migrating to Bolt Action from 40K might help, but they seem more interested in making killer "armies" than history, although older heads appear no better in that respect. Generalizing maybe, who can tell. If I was a tad younger maybe I would be lured by the dark side, I did rather like James Morriss's Elf King game after all :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with you and this Elf King tatt? It's like watching Cold Mountain.

      Delete
  2. I always check what games are on before I decide whether to attend a show or not. By and large Colours is predominantly historical, with Salute similar but can vary wildly year on year.

    Now I don't mind the small games, but I agree that these days they seem to be largely fantasy and sci-fi, which is a shame as you can have good historical games on a small table, whether a 2'x2' or 4'x4'.

    Big games in 28mm are of little interest to me as I'm a 10mm gamer these days. Of late many of these games have tended to be largely display games with little or no action going on. I go to shows to see games, not displays, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your perspective Steve. We'll agree to differ.

      Delete
  3. We now have 5 gaming stores in Cheltenham, but with almost the sole example of Bolt Action, historical games are difficult to spot. That, I think, is the butterfly route of future gaming, small skirmishes that cost little, need no research, can be painted quickly (if at all) and take up little room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it John in a nutshell, gaming stores selling games, nothing at all to do with wargaming.

      Delete
  4. Im afraid your showing your age David. Wargaming is changing in so many ways as is to be expected I suppose. Still you bought some of the stuff you wanted so not everything is bad. I blame the educational systems of this country, ahem. Research and reading is no longer an important part of a wargamers route to pushing toy soldiers around a table. Looking on the bright side at least they were related somehow to wargaming and it helps keep them off Tinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To an extent education has become more exam driven, but a lot more military history is taught than when I was at school. I grew up on a diet of Airfix and Tamiya, Military Modelling, Airfix MAgazine and Almark books. There was only a fraction of the research available today and figures and scenery ranges were minute, so I can't agree that education is to blame. I think that young people have a vastly different multimedia experience than we did with our TVs' with 2 channels, constant reading, making models and converting figures. They want things now before they get bored and move on.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you John, the attention span of a goldfish most of them.

      Delete
  5. You are indeed showing your age David...
    It can’t be easy starting a show from scratch... not something that I would want to try... so give them some slack ( and support)...
    Attracting the big name gamers like yourself takes time... so filling the event with smaller fair that encourages visitors is a wise move...
    ‘Bijou’ games are easy to transport and appeal to the increasing number of people who are looking for participation games... be they fantasy ,sci-fi or historical it gets them playing.... Wargames.
    As for Fantasy...
    Minifigs previewed their ‘New’ fantasy range ....Mythical Earth... in 1973...
    Which is about the same time I got seriously into historical wargaming... so nothing new... you have had plenty of time to adjust and get over it ��
    As you often say... each to their own...

    The battle of Pechory does look rather nice...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forget perhaps Aly that I started WMMS from scratch with Phil, so I know a bit about how hard it is. In my day I've also carted Display Games to shows from Edinburgh to Birmingham. Given that, I know a dud when I see one. As do the traders.

      Delete
    2. Would you really want to do it now?
      I suspect that there are a lot more hoops to jump through.. both financially and health and safety...
      I am prepared to give Robin a chance and I wish them well...
      Nobody makes you go... so as you say... each to their own.

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
    3. Of course I wouldn’t, but that’s hardly the point is it. I went, I paid my £5, I spent money with some traders; I think that qualify me to pass an opinion. I see you didn’t, in fact you went to Tactical, much like Foundry...

      Delete
    4. It was rather unfortunate that the two days clashed... I am assuming someone moved...
      Normally Mharaid and I would have gone... it’s a father-daughter thing... ;-)
      Hopefully the the dates will be different next year...

      Delete
    5. Hope to see you at Hammerhead in a few days time! Looking forward to chewing the hobby fat as ever.

      Delete
  6. I like and prefer the big games as well, but it's harder to get them these days. However, on a positive note if we have to play more skirmish games then we perhaps would like at lest there are quite a few good ones out there like CoC, Sharp Practice, SAGA, Bolt Action, Lion Rampant etc.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first three you mention you can keep with my blessing Christopher. The latter two I can live with. If these Bijou games lead eventually to real wargaming, then good. Sadly I see no evidence from the goldfish gamers playing them.

      Delete
    2. I thinks large gaming is going rapidly. Even modern houses are not built to contain bookcases and gaming rooms any more and, as for loft storage?

      Delete
  7. I have just about decided to stick to online, I would like to see before I buy in some cases but the time spent to travel, the lack of historical wargames and the high chance of being disappointed is against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoy a day out with friends, so I will persevere until I'm in my box! Looking forward to Hammerhead in a few days time.

      Delete
  8. Well at least there was some retail therapy! Disappointed about TAG,the t would be a draw for me if they were at a show but it doesn't sound like it would be worth it,looking forward to your Italian wars article,it gives me a reason to make my yearly purchase of a Wargames Illustrated!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one a year? Shame on you there Iain. 😉
      TAG were clearly not geared up for show sales, more akin to door-to-door sales samples really.

      Delete