David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 6 September 2023

A Second Look at Soldiers of Napoleon

Phil and I decided to give Soldiers of Napoleon a second run through for this week's game here in GHQ. The armies were substantially the same, the French adding a unit of Legeré, while the dispositions were slightly different. Once again Phil commanded the Austrian army and yours truly the Republican French. We are still at the 'beginner' stage so it's just basic rules still leaving aside the niceties and subtleties of the system. As before an annotated photomontage which I hope will carry you through to the battle's climax and hopefully give a sense of how the game plays ~

The French have the initiative in Turn 1 and use their cards to advance along their front.
The battery of 12lb guns unlimber in the centre of the line to support the infantry assault on the Austrian lines. Pretty much all downhill after this...
French Hussars supported by Chasseurs à Cheval initiate a fierce charge in a bid to break the stronger Austrian units facing them.
The Austrian response is ponderous but a Senior Commander appears in Turn 2 to chivy the Division Commander on.
Austrian Hussars and Chevaux Legeré form line ready to tackle the uppity French!
The cavalry clash on the flank sees Hussars in a fierce charge manage four hits, encouraging De Bykli to think the Austrians may break. 
Sadly a false hope! The French Hussars are thrown back in Disorder with losses! These large Austrian units are proving very resilient.
Not only the first Hussar unit is disrupted, but the second too as the disordered Hussars are pushed back on their supports.
The second Hussar unit trust it's luck, still not having learned from the errors of its fellow in not forming line! Three dice, three 1s, need I say more?
The whole French cavalry brigade is in disarray with one Hussar unit destroyed for 5 VPs to Von Robbinsahn!
Temporary respite for the shattered French Light Cavalry brigade as their opponents seek to Rally from Disruption and Disorder. No cards for the French Rally though. At this point I realised I'd been over concentrating on this flank and neglecting the infantry arm who had advanced far too slowly.
Having neglected my infantry and seen my bold assault on the Austrian left first repulsed and then destroyed, too late I try to organise the infantry assault. Phil disrupts this plan by using a Special Event card to break up my advance and then to bombard the luckless columns! Merdé!
I loose a column of infantry on my right to add to the loss of my whole Light Cavalry brigade! Another 4 VPs for Von Robbinsahn sees him win the game! The French quit the field with De Bykli facing Madame Guillotine if he's not careful!
The final position for the loosing French with their right in ruin and the Austrian Light Cavalry brigade free to savage their rear!
The victorious Von Robbinsahn, obviously motivated by the appearance of the Corps Commander, sees his infantry untroubled by the disjointed French attacks. His extra card from Turns 3-5 made quite a difference as the game unfolded, mostly in bombarding the hapless French infantry and rallying his own Light Cavalry. 
Overall still a great game and a solid 8/10 for Soldiers of Napoleon! The French great gamble on the right failed and in attempting to stem the consequences diverted attention and cards from the infantry assault which never really got underway until the right was lost! Austrian cavalry were used more effectively and rallied when needed, while Artillery bombardments harassed the ponderous French infantry. 
We will return to these rules I'm sure, but next up in GHQ is a photoshoot with Dan of Wargames Illustrated to accompany a piece I've written for a forthcoming Pulp issue, Churchill at Blandings!


18 comments:

  1. A lovely looking game, that rule set has showed up at the club as well, I have not played it myself. Another photoshoot, wargame royalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Royalty, moi? As a life long republican I find that hard to take. Glitteratti I might suffer. Give the rules a go, they are decent!

      Delete
  2. A most enjoyable game, though all that focus and resource management is very tiring. After a short power nap I was suitably inspired to return to the painting desk in the evening. A grand day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiring, and you such a young chap? Glad you were inspired to paint though!

      Delete
  3. Good to see this system continues to give and continues to gain your interest. Being a card based game, does that make it very much unsuitable for solo play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ideas on solo play Norm, of no interest. Sorry I can't be of more help.

      Delete
    2. The way the cards are used you would lose a lot of the unknown and would know what events could happen in the other sides turn. Ralph Astley over on UTube has a game he played solo which will give you some idea.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I will look Ralph’s vid up.

      Delete
  4. Another magnificent looking table. I find that events happening "off table" can have such an impact on what is happening on the table adds an extra dimension to the game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off table events are certainly "interesting"...

      Delete
  5. Another fine game there David and good to see you're both enjoying the rules. With the cards they don't look solo friendly to me, but I could be wrong? I'll stick with Shadow of the Eagles for my Napoleonic games for the meantime, or BPII.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know I enjoy Black Powder rules, Soldiers of Napoleon is just a dalliance at present.

      Delete
  6. A lovely looking game David…
    The rules look interesting…I may have to pick a copy up.

    “Pretty much all downhill after this”… Welcome to my world 😂.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find the concepts interesting. I'm not sure I would forsake Black Powder as we play too many periods but the rules certainly repay the effort of learning them. As to "Downhill" you don't have sole ownership you know...

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking battle David, really interested in your thoughts on the rules 8 out of 10 , this makes me feel I might get a copy ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like them, but bear in mind we've only played twice and are still feeling our way in areas like troop quality and army lists, skirmishers and heavy Cavalry, but we've seen enough to be encouraged.

      Delete
  8. A grand looking game indeed there Dave, and glad to see you're getting to grips with this system! Always re-injects new interest when trying out new rule systems I find, your positive comments certainly offer encouragement for anyone contemplating giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete