David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Saturday 24 April 2021

The Tyger's cavalry

 A test base of three mounted native cavalry for the army of Typoo Bhyka, the Tygre of Pendawar. They are armed with the lance, but also sport a wicked looking long sword and a pistol. The figures are from the Wargames Foundry Sikh Wars range, so of an age in hobby terms. It's rather noticeable in both the stiff poses of the horses and riders, but also in the generally poor castings before they were cleaned up. Notwithstanding those issues though, they will fit in well with the rest of the army I think. Judge for yourselves anyway ~

For a colour scheme I wanted a more flamboyant look than for the dour infantry, but still holding the look together with a white/off-white/ linen element, in this case the coats of the figures. I'm not confident it has worked to be honest, but I'll reserve judgement for now until I've completed all three bases and can get a better idea of the whole effect. 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. But not good either? They'll have to do.

      Delete
  2. Great work on these elderly Foundry sculpts. I have rarely bought Foundry as I always found them over priced and nowadays, they cant even claim to be streets ahead of the competition, as was the case 15 or 20 years ago - they are still nice figures - though remaining overpriced I am afraid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you rross. We will have to disagree on Foundry prices I'm afraid, by no means the most expensive figure packs out there.

      Delete
  3. Very nice David...
    I think your colour choice works well... I look forward to seeing the whole unit.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly. I've completed 3 more now and am happier with the look. The last 3 to finish the unit are under the brush.

      Delete
  4. Look mighty fine to me, most colourful 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, and seems like it should fit in well with the rest of the project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gonsalvo, another endorsement is always welcome.

      Delete
  6. Loving this project. I agree with the earlier comment that the WF figures are lovely but too dear for my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fine looking unit and the colours work for me:). Looking forward to seeing them with the other units currently under the brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SteveJ for another endorsement of my meagre efforts. Three more are finished now and the final 3 to complete the unit are at the highlighting stage.

      Delete