David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 24 April 2020

O'Donnel's Frei-korps 2

With the periodic cooperation of hand and eye I have finished the five bases which make up the full unit of O'Donnel's Frei-korps to add to my Austrian army in the Wars of the French Revolution collection. I'm satisfied with the final look of the figures and the unit as a whole. As usual a shot of the unit drawn up in line ~
And a couple of closer views which should disabuse those who think I'm a decent artist ~
The truth is I'm a 'looks ok on the table' sort of artist. As my dad used to say, "It looks alright from the top of a 118 bus!" Next up some French Heavy Cavalry from Eureka again, also part of the pre-order from Salute two years ago.

30 comments:

  1. Just the ticket, bus or otherwise old bean. KBO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say more than decent, the close up shows how good they look!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, funny how folk see things differently. I think the close ups show up all my mistakes.

      Delete
  3. Lovely David. The red is particularly nicely done. All the best. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice unit for a much underplayed and appreciated period. I love the red and green. One day I too will venture into Revolutionary wars - your work is inspirational. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those do look lovely and great sculpts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind, but the sculpting style is too delicate for my old eyes.

      Delete
  6. What;'s not to like here? A finely painted, unusual unit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! What sculpts are those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, figures from Eureka's Wars of the French Revolution Austrians.

      Delete
  8. Nice brushwork, enhanced by nice basing technique David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very much appreciated, thank you.

      Delete
  9. Stunning job David, awesome colors and details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely looking unit David. I know you have reservations about Eureka figures but I do think they are very good if a bit expensive.Look forward to the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind Robbie, thank you. The cost is not really a consideration as I'm only adding bits and bobs. The cavalry are shaping up nicely, though the pink facings are a trifle in your face and may need toning down.

      Delete
  11. Another excellent addition, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice David...
    The finished unit has turned out really well...
    The red and green is such a nice colour combination...

    All the best. Aly
    P.S. Did you ever get round to re-basing those Austrians...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly. The Austrians you gave me remain on the original be bases. They have already seen action twice. I added some figures to the French and they are nearing the head of the painting queue.

      Delete
  13. Another nicely turned out unit David. Still looks like a skirmish line to me but if it works for your rules/setup its good for me .....as Phil would say KBO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem set in your ways with that comment Matt😉
      Forget all this old fashioned figure:man ratio, it's all about the number of bases.

      Delete