David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Friday 7 June 2019

Lord Walton succeeds to command.

It's not been an easy time for Jon over the last few months, but he has kept up with what gaming he could fit in as it all helped him cope. He came over on Thursday evening for our monthly game here in GHQ despite all he was dealing with. As the AWI armies were still out on the table, I reconfigured the terrain and disposition of the forces to reflect an American follow up attack on the British after Lord Rawnsley's recent defeat.
The new commander of the Crown's forces must rally his disorganised forces and dispirited senior officers and beat off the rebel's attack. To reflect their situation the CinC may only try to reroll three failed command rolls during the game. I usually take a few pictures to reflect the game in a  photomontage and give a flavour of the unfolding battle, however I failed to do that for this game. You are entitled to ask me why of course. The game was just too intense really, drawing us both fully in to the table top action. The game swung first one way, then the other in an intense fire fight all along the front. In the end it was the Americans, who despite having their dander up, finally wavered and then broke to end almost three hours of intense fighting. I did manage one picture, right at the end of Turn 2 ~

On the broader hobby front I've put aside starting my two new AWI units, other than fixing the figures temporarily to their MDF bases and sorting out their flags from my stock. I have some Eagle Miniatures SYW artillery I've decided to work on next. The French are finished now and the British begun. I mention this now as the disparity in size between the two nationality's gun crew is extremely noticeable. The British crew scale in well with my Foundry figures but the French; well, they are so small by comparison they look like children! I can't help but think it odd that the owner hasn't corrected this. When I finish the British I'll post some pictures and you can judge for yourselves.

17 comments:

  1. The one pic you did take shows a very nice set up:). I find taking notes and pics as the game progresses for my Blog can sometimes get in the way of keeping track of what's going on etc. This is especially true of games such as this one where the action swung one way then the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dearth of photos reflects more than the tense game, other issues were in play, but it was a great evening and a fine game despite the result!

      Delete
  2. Good to see that fine fellow Lord Walton put the rebels back firmly in their place, I fear for Lord Rawnsley the war is over.
    Look forward to seeing the Hobbit gun in due course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the crew would be small even for Hobbits!

      Delete
  3. Well the games the thing,any kind of post is a bonus,glad to hear your painting hobbits now, first plastic now this,where will it end?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take the Hobbit thingie literally Iain!

      Delete
  4. Poor show only one photo. Well at least that one shows a good looking game 🙂 and at least the Brits won !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mea Culpa! Extenuating circumstances and so forth.

      Delete
  5. I really liked the guns but the discrepancy between the crews was really weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the French crew fit in with Perry Miniatures quite well, but are dwarfed by the British SYW crew figures, which fit well with my existing Foundry SYW collection.

      Delete
  6. A game that is so engaging and enjoyable that you forget to take pictures..... Splendid.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a grand tussle I have to say and enjoyable despite the result. Perhaps you should pop over for a game one day?

      Delete
    2. A game would be fun... I just need to find a way of getting to you...;-)

      Delete
    3. By train if you don't drive?

      Delete
    4. By train you say... well that sounds far to easy... ;-)

      Delete
  7. Well the picture does show a fine game in progress!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were extenuating circumstances, not just the game.

      Delete