David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Sunday 30 June 2019

I have been to...

...the Phoenix Wargames Show, held in the Rheged Centre, near Penrith in Cumbria. Just in case any of you think I have taken leave of my senses I should say that Sue and I, together with Phil and Di, have been holidaying up there for a few days. We enjoyed grand weather on the whole and saw a good deal of the area. The short hop up the M6 to Penrith for the show was just prior to coming home  earlier today.
The show is typical I would think of a small, local event supported by local clubs and traders, boosted by a few of the bigger beasts who could no doubt fit the event in after the show in Glasgow yesterday.  There were a number of display and participation games, of which I enjoyed Matt Crump’s Rebels & Patriots ACW game and a larger SYW in India game with two very nice forces on show.
The bigger trade beasts attending included Warlord Games, Colonel Bill’s and Sarissa Precision. Others I recognised were ABC Brushes, Hoka Hey Wargames and Irongate Scenics. There were a number of smaller and local traders in attendance as well as some flea market tables available for hire.

My haul from this show consisted of: the free Dark Age figure given to the first 200 entrants; 9 new Pro Arte brushes from ABC; a pack of Redoubt Highland Grenadier Firing Line for the F&IW from Colonel Bill; and the new F&IW Supplement from Warlord Games, “A Dark and Bloody Ground”. To top it all off I met two North Western chums, Matt Crump and George Anderson, and enjoyed a really good hobby chat with them. A grand day as we were in the area! And finally, arriving safely home I found a parcel of Eureka Miniatures AWI figures waiting for me, sent on from Colin Ashton! Not a bad day by any means! Now I have another local show to look forward to next Sunday in the form of Barrage, at Blessed William Howard school in Stafford

8 comments:

  1. Good haul. I enjoyed the show and picked up the Shieldwall supplement, also had a brief chat with Phil. I thought the numbers were a little up on last year, but I am never good at making those sort of judgements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a first time visitor I've no real idea of how many punters there were. I enjoyed myself and spent some cash, met friends, so a good show.

      Delete
  2. Nice pile of kit! How good to visit a wargames show whilst on holiday!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did plan it ahead, but don't tell on us!

      Delete
  3. Nice to catch up David....you seem to have bought quite a bit ! Small shows are great but depend on traders to make them financially viable so it was good to see a fair number of punters on the day. I will catch on the blog soon and try and start those AWI figures 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed our chat, liked your game very much - despite the plastics! Looking forward to more on your blog and to the beginnings of a large AWI project!

      Delete
  4. A most enjoyable visit, even if I did only buy four brushes. Worth it to see Matt's participation game alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four brushes? Last of the big spenders, eh? Good job your Perry figures arrived while we were away,!

      Delete