David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Tuesday 11 June 2019

Drums Along the Rawnsley ~ a Rebels & Patriots game.

Its probably not a secret that I'm no great fan of the rules by Two Fat Lardies. Phil and I have tried, God knows, to warm to Sharp Practice but I just don't enjoy all the faffing about for an occasional game. Let's face it, if you need a guide book to create a back story you are probably not the most imaginative type. So, I bought a copy of Osprey's Rebels & Patriots to try out with my F&IW collection with Phil for our regular Monday game. (There is always the new Black Powder supplement as well to consider.)

I set up a French raid along the Rawnsley River, with the objective of carrying off animals, crops and supplies, as well as burning the farms. We were more interested in trying out the rules than seeing who might win as it turned out. Phil as Jean-Philippe Dumbass, commanded the French raiding party while I, as John Henry Bykleigh, commanded the British troops and Rogers' Rangers. I did manage a few pictures this time to allow any passing reader to follow the game and perhaps make sense of my rule reflections ~
The main farm, an old friend if you are a regular visitor here, and a prime target.

Along the river bank a less salubrious dwelling still makes a good objective.

Nearest the French point of entry the livestock make a tempting target.
As you will all know I'm no lover of points, lists or balanced games, preferring to make do with what is to hand and chance my luck. The British force therefore comprised: three 8 figure elements of the 38th Foot; the regiment's Light Company of 6 figures: a light artillery piece and three gunners; and two 6 figure elements of Rogers' Rangers. The French force comprised: three 8 figure elements of the Royal Rousillon regiment; 6 figures of Canadian Woodsmen;two 6 figure elements of Canadian Militia; a light artillery piece and three gunners; and finally, a large element of 18 Indians.
After rather indifferent Activation rolls for both sides, the 38th begin to cross
the bridge and deploy into line opposing the French regulars.

The woodsmen are covering the French left as they cautiously advance. The
Indians are making straight for the main farm in numbers.

Jean-Philippe leads his men forward, rather tentatively it must be said.

The main action gets underway.A firefight between the regulars saw the French
having the worst of it and falling back, with little help from the Woodsmen on
their left! The Indians were eventually driven off, though taking three women
prisoners with them! The Militia on the far  right had initial success in rounding
up the cattle, but were blocked in the field by the farmers when the game ended
in a British victory.


I'm far from mastering any set of rules now-a-days, even Black Powder which we play extensively, but I felt these rules flowed quite well for a first game. The main elements are quite straightforward and we soon found we knew what was needed on the dice without too much recourse to the written page.Of  course in my opinion Osprey rules suffer from really poor layout, perhaps due to shoehorning everything into one common format, or even not realising how things could be better laid out  or the player. These thoughts are perhaps reflecting the lack of experienced wargamers in the company? However, the lack of a proper playsheet is inexcusable really from a major rules publisher.
We shall replay the scenario in two weeks, when Phil has had the time to digest what we did in the game and if/when we got things wrong. For myself, I've no real interest in the minutia of any rule set, games flow pretty much with just the basics in my experience. Of course, that's more to do with the wonderful folk who are my friends and opponents, if you are stuck with rules lawyers you have my sympathy! For example, we like the idea of the officer being a separate figure as within a unit he is too easy a target! Jean-Philippe was wounded and carried from the field by his men as I rather unsportingly targeted the base he was with every time I could.
Elements which I did really warm to were the Double 1's and 6's rules. John Henry lost two Honour points as a result of poor throws after the Double 1's! Mind you, he gained an extra 6 figure element as a result of the Double 6! If I'm honest though,there just aren't enough figures on the table for me in this sort of game. I shall buy the new Black Powder supplement for the F&IW later in the year and see if I prefer that format for games {We have already had one or two earlier on using BP}.
In the meantime I have some Foundry War of 1812 US troops in summer kit on the painting desk and received today new reinforcements from Front Rank for my AWI Hessians,so plenty to keep me occupied! Hey Ho!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely looking game,I haven't got Rebels and Patriots as I haven't got any figures that would work for it and I still haven't tried pikemans lament which I have plenty of figures for! Phil's luck holding steady then?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dice were far worse than Phil's, just not at critical junctures mostly.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the report. Franco-Indian wars are interesting for games and figures are in the collection. We play with Muskets and Tomahawks. I want to try something new. Just the opportunity to try out the Rebels and Patriots. Your comments were helpful 8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have played several games of Rebels and Patriots over the last couple of months and enjoyed each of them. By the time we were into our second game the rules were pretty much in our heads and we could proceed without a QRS, although one of our number scribed one. 15 mm and using cms as inches, suddenly a table becomes huge and the last used several forces working in parallel, including 2 brigades of regulars. HUge fun and thinking to adapt to Mahratta India, part of the joy of 15mm - a paint job often fuffices for all the conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect we will play the occasional game, but there are bigger games to enjoy in my view.

      Delete
  4. Good job you have a new project, else I could see the Plains of Abram looming by the New year ;~)
    I can always count on throwing crap dice when I am in dire straights as sure as Apple's are bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do that anyway using figures from SYW collections and Indians from AWI/War of 1812.

      Delete
  5. The rules turned up at the club last night but I was too busy capturing a French village to take any notice. They do seem to be the flavour of the month at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flavour of the month exactly. Soon discarded for the next new thing. That's the Goldfish Gamers all over, no staying power.

      Delete
  6. We quite enjoyed them and agree fairly easy to pick up. I plan to do a R&P participation game at the Phoenix show late June using my ACW stuff. A simple game but giving people the idea.🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see you and the game at Phoenix Matt!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful looking game as always David!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete