David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 30 May 2018

Biccles Bites the Dust
















There is a long story behind Phil's second visit to GHQ in two days, but we'll stick with the short version: Dianne's car is broken down on our drive so Phil has run her over to work, just up the hill from us, and so spent the day here while waiting for the mechanic to fix the car, which he did not manage today, needing to order a part! So Phil will be here again tomorrow at some point, with Dianne, to hopefully collect the fixed car!
We passed some of the day trying out Wings of War, the WWII version, which I had picked up from a previous year's Penkridge Tabletop Sale for £20. I've bought a few extra planes over the elapsed time and Jon kindly gave me on of the mats to play over. So, Flying Officer Bicclesworth versus the vile Hun, von Robbensahn! We played three games, slowly absorbing the basic rules as we went along.
First blood was to Phil, shooting me down in turn two! Three damage chits drawn, total 17! My Spitfire went down in flames! The second game was rather more cat and mouse, but eventually the hero of the RAF sent von Robbensahn to his doom in his flaming M109! For the third and deciding game we swopped sides, Phil taking the Spitfire and myself the ME110 for a change of game. Despite neither of us exactly setting the world aflame my rear gunner had several hits on the Spitfire to only one on the ME110 when disaster struck. I misread a card and flew off the edge of the table into the sunset, handing the deciding game to Phil! We enjoyed ourselves as you can probably see from the picture Sue took of us. {Note the squadron moggie, FO Phoebe, on duty outside by the way.} We hope to play a game in GHQ next week, but what it is will depend very much on how I am after the weekend...

12 comments:

  1. Playing inside on a beautiful day, real wargamers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it was cold and wet most of the day!

      Delete
  2. Nice sitting down game, very sensible!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually sitting is just as difficult after about 30 mins.

      Delete
  3. Tally Ho! Mr.B. I hope you kept at 90 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Biccles has gone West. I must dig out my old WE Johns bookstand see if he is going to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite title? Boggles sweeps the desert!

      Delete
  5. happy birthday by the way I think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Squadron Leader old chap, I don't understand your banter. :-)

    ReplyDelete